1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Controlling Jumping up and Nipping

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by DaveM26, Nov 3, 2005.

1. DaveM26

DaveM26 New Member

Over the past week Ive noticed my god haveing the loveing joy or jumping up and nipping, grabbing shirt or whatever he can get a hold of
    whats the best way to correct this?

he knows Sit stay and down, but when he gets excitted ( new people around or people he hasnt seen in awhile) or right after being let out of crate he enjoys jumping up and bitting whatever he can get ahold of?

hes an 4 month of Brittany... hes learning and so am I, its allot of work haveing a young puppy, just like haveing kids LOL, I also noticed today that hes missing ALLOT of his puppy teeth and adults are comeing in place could this be causeing the "sudden" change in his biteing habbits?

thanks
    Dave :D

2. DaveM26

DaveM26 New Member

Welll.. Oh... OK... made a mistake

Suppose to be "DOG" not "GOD",,, I should really re-read my post's before hitting the "Submit button" LOL

Dave :oops:

3. nern

nern New Member

The best thing you can do is teach him how you want him to greet. This is easiest to do if you have frequent visitors to you home. You can tether him or have him on leash. Have him sit before allowing a visitor to greet him. If he begins to jump up the visitor should turn away and ignore him until he is calmly sitting. If he is very excitable it may take a few minutes before he settles down but just wait it out. He will learn that sitting calmly gets him the attention that he wants but jumping up and nipping causes people to go away. If you can do several repetitions each day with a variety of visitors he will learn how to greet people properly very quickly. Its also a good idea to practice such greetings in a variety of locations indoors and out to help him generalize.
    For coming out of the crate you can ignore him for a few minutes until he is calm before letting him out. If thats not feasible because of your need to get him outside immediately for a potty break you can ignore him until he is calm after his potty break. It might also be beneficial to encourage him to grab a toy or to shove one in his mouth as you're releasing him from the crate. This will help with the excited nipping. When Natalie was a puppy she was really nippy when excited, especially upon my returning home after being out for a bit. I began handing her a toy as I walked in the door later encouraging her to grab a toy from the floor and 5yrs later she still greets me with a toy or another object (whatever she can grab that is closest to her).