1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Convict Aquarium

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

What are some neccessary things to put in a Convict aquarium in hopes of them breeding and what kind of ground substrate do they like (gravel, sand)?? How many plants should I have?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, cichlids usually like gravel so they can build pits with and i wouldnt reccomend plants live or fake b/c cichlids with chew them to pieces either way. if u want plants, look around for "cichlid-proof" plants. i forgot which company sells them, but it says so on the packaging. i have one in with my africans and it is fine and VERY hardy.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A lot of people I know of that have breeding cons use terracotta pots.

Also, before deciding to get into breeding cons, make sure you will be able to house them. I'm not exaggerating when I say you'll become over run with baby cons.

-Chelle

4. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Yea I couldn't beleive when i heard they breed virtually anywhere and will have tons of babies

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

thtas one fish that will never be extinct. lol

6. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

can cons breed in any size tank? just asking

7. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I know they have been accomplished in 15's and 20's.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

From experience with my cons, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be aware that when they get started, they don't stop! I made that same mistake and I still have to deal with it now! You might think like I did that you can take it to any lfs, but many lfs won't take them because they are probaly overstocked with convicts anyways. I have tried 8 lfs where I live an none of them will take the convicts FOR FREE. They honestly thought I was crazy to sell them my cons for a couple cents a fish! So please be aware of that before you think of breeding them! But they are still great fish!

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've heard of them breedin in 10 gallons, HOWEVER, just because they'll breed in a tank that small, it doesn't mean you should keep them in a tank that small.

-Chelle

10. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Exactly I agree. Just because they are very horny fish doesnt make them worthless pieces of trash lol. They should be given a large comfortable home.

11. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

what size do cons breed at?

12. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

People have breed them at 3/4 of an inch. Pretty small.

13. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yeah, when hoping to breeding convicts, the key question is not when, where and how to, it is HOW MANY! Lol!