1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

convicts in 5.5 gallon

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by big-pig-666, Apr 27, 2005.

1. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

how long will a male(4'') and a female(2'') (breeding pair) survive in a 5 gallon tankm i took them out because the male is beating up my green terror badly...

2. tski22

tski22 New Member

Not long at all, and a dumb idea to remove a breeding pair from there breeding enviroment. IF anythign remove the other fish and leave then alone to breed. Get rid of the green terror I would say and leave the convicts be. -tl

3. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

one thing is for certan.. The green terror stays...

4. Used

Used New Member

Let me get this straight you have a 4 inch male Convict, a 2 inch female Convict, and a green Terror in a 5 gallon. NO the fish can't live in a 5 gallon for any period of time. Have you tested your water lately? Do you have a bigger tank to move them to? One last thing I would encourage you to research the fish you get in the future a little bit more.

5. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

ahhh no!! i had 2 cons with the green terror in a bigger tank and the green was gettin beaten so i was going to move the cons to the 5G for a while

6. Used

Used New Member

My bad. I just didn't understand your post(':roll:'). If the 5 gallon is a rectangular tank not hex you could keep the fish for about two weeks if you keep up on the maintence.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I wouldn't even attempt putting a 4" and a 2" con in a 5 gallon. Not even for a day.

-Chelle

8. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

why is it that the green can't come out? is it too big?

9. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

No, hes not big at all, maybe 1.5''. It's just that he is my favorite fish...

10. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Just outta curoisty, How big a green terror get? and wht size of tank they need? (5 diffrent web sites say 5 diffrent things)

11. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

greens get 8-12 inches, a single would need about a 50 to live comfartably but im sure one could get away with a pair in a 50.

12. tski22

tski22 New Member

Wait a second, your adding 2 german blue rams in with cons and a green terror? Tell me your joking.. -tl

13. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

what are u talking about bud? read all the posts THEN reply.

14. Nameless

Nameless New Member

From my personal experience breeding convicts are the last thing that you would want to do. Once they start they won't stop, trust me. It may seem nice and joyful at first but from my experience it will turn around and bite you. My backup plan was to sell them to my lfs or give them to friends. The friends wanted colorful fish that you could easily find a tankmate that it won't kill. One lfs took some but later regretted it because no one wanted to buy them and other lfs would not want them cuase they too were overrun with convicts and some did not take them for free because they knew what would happen. So as words of caution, beware of breeding convicts, even though they are cool and misunderstood fish.

15. tski22

tski22 New Member

Nice post, We shouldn't really have multiple posts of the same topic going here though, I personally didn't read the other posts beforehand, therefore I thought you meant all in the same tank my mistake. My guess would be that 2 germans in a 5 gallon would be hard to maintain because they are so delicate. -tl

16. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

just because the green is your fav doesn't mean you should punish the other two by stuffing them in a 5 while they are trying to get they're groove on. but hey do what you want.