1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Could My Cage Shape Be A Problem?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Dec 2, 2004.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hello Everyone... another beautiful day on the westcoast!! I know I have only had my budgie for a day and a half so dont think im freaking out but I keep seeing pictures of people with really wide and short cages.. My cage is:
    L= 18" W= 14 H=36"
    I think this should be good enough for one budgie but what do you guys think about 2? I was thinkin of getting her maybe company of hte bird kind...
    thanks

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

The min I look for is 18" across, 12" high and 12" wide (for one budgie). Budgies need a cage that is longer than it is higher so they have a chance to stretch their wings.

Your cage should be good for one budgie, but since it is higher than it is longer I think it may be a little cramped with two. Also take into consideration that toys, bowls and perches also take up room in the cage making the are inside smaller.

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

Thanks man, yeah I think I am just going to stick with one for now.. and when I feel comfortable to upgrade i will buy a really nice large cage... My bird is really small too so I think there is plenty of room... Are your food dishes shallow or deep? Right now mine are probably 3.5 inches deep they are the ones the cage came with, i have been thinking about buying shallower ones... thanks again.. if im asking too many questions just tell me to shut up LOL

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I have a shallow dish in Kiwi's and a deep one in Buster's.

Kiwi hasn't grasped the concept that there are seens under the shells so I keep a shalow dish in his cage so he can see the uneaten seeds. Buster on the other hand will dig right down to the bottom of the dish to get seeds so he doesn't have a problem with the deeper dishes.

Ask away, that's what we're all here for!

5. drab911

drab911 New Member

Well right now I have the Millet spray hanging into the cup so that she is sitting on the cup while she is eating... I just finnished putting in some newly cut washed and dryed natural perches.... right now she is sitting on one of hte new ones chirping occasionally... im going to weed out the factory perches completly at some point.. good idea? I like the idea of the visual look It will give...
    Thanks you guys are great the only other message board I have ever been on is pot related haha typical BC guy eh.. anyways thanks again...

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I've never used natural perches myself (always store bought) but I don't think it should be a problem to go with al natural perches, they serve the same purpose. Remember to get different sizes and widths (but not too thin or too fat).

The only problem I see with natural is that you can't always tell if the branches have been sprayed with pesticides so a thorough (very thorough) cleaning is always in order.

LOL, my guys inhale millet spray so fast it wouldn't even make it to the cup!

7. drab911

drab911 New Member

Do you cover your guys with a sheet when you go to bed? Or not even that but when you think it is time for them to go to bed?
    And also do you use any of those rope things...the one i have have little hairs coming off the side... i heard someone say it could hurt the birds toes?? I dont have it in right now but woudl like to if it is OK.

8. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I always cover my birds when I go to bed at night. I have from day one, they have their own special blanket and when I pick it up Buster automatically jumps onto his swing and Kiwi climbs onto the top perch (it's where they sleep).

I don't personally use rope because I'm paranoid about their nails getting caught in it, but my neighbor's use a few rope perches. I wouldn't use the ones with hairs coming off the side because their nails could get caught easily.

9. drab911

drab911 New Member

yeah im not going to use the rope too bad i lost the packaging and it was $10 grrr but better then hurting the bird...
    But you see I work shift work so I am not always going to bed at the same time... like last night i was up til midnight and she was sleeping from like 10 on.. even though the tv is still on should I cover her up at the same time every night?? or just when its going to be quiet?? Dont want her to think shes missing out on something

10. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I find that my birds will sleep pretty much whenever they want. If I cover mine and there are still people walking around and talking they make a big fuss about not being able to see. I have 2 small sisters (6 and 10) so the only time it gets quiet is when they go to bed!

I would say cover her when its quiet.

11. drab911

drab911 New Member

very good info..
    thank you sir!

12. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi the larger the cage the better aslong as the bar width is small enough so the bird can not get out then the larger you can get the better.

Most standard size cages are large enough to house to small birds like budgies but again bigger is better.

Food dishes can be of any depth what i do is 2-3 times aday i will remove the dishes and blow out the seed husks this helps reduce the mess when the birds flap there wings and also helps them see there is still seed in the dishes.

I have rope swings in with my budgies and cockatiels and they love them only problem is they love to chew on them aswell lol.
    Natural perches are great for the birds as the bark has naturla oils and vitamins in it but these should be scrubbed thoroughly to make sure there is no other bird or animal droppings or any other dangerous contaminants on them but birds do love the natural perch different widths is also better as this helps them excersise there toes and makes them stretch them as they would in the wild.

Budgies also like to have a bath so either a bird bath that can attach to the cage or a shallow dish with some warm water placed on the cage floor but not under a perch is also a good idea this way they can bath and helps remove dust from the feathers...

I cover my birds on a night this helps stop any draughts that may get to them and if there is still alot of noise from other family members the room the birds are in i switch off the light aswell and this settles down the birds.
    When covering the cage allow a small gap at the bottom of the cage so enough air can get in but not enough to cause a draughts as budgies can tolerate low temperatures but a drught can kill them instantly...

Mike