1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

could this be it?!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Dec 14, 2004.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

ok, here's the scoop. I've got 4 budgies together in one cage, 2 male, 2 female. There is one nest box in there that they all played "king of the nestbox" on and now I just noticed my female going in there a lot, as well as the male checking out the box. Her cere has yet to turn dark brown...but do you think it will, is their going in the nest box a good sign they want to nest?? Any info would be super! Sorry if it seems I repeat myself. Talk to you all later.
    -Mandi
    PS. Mike, congrats on the new addition. Lovebirds are wonderful! I love them, they are extremely sweet.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Mandi yes them going into the nest box is a good sign that she will be ready to breed soon i would suggest removing the other pair to another cage if this is not possible then if possible add another nest box otherwise there could be serious fights when one pair lays eggs or has chicks in the nest.

Female budgies are very protective of there nest, eggs and chicks and will fight any intruder to the death if needs be so its best to seperate the 2 pairs or supply another nest box just to be safe.
    Giving them an egg food like CeDe which is specially designed for hand feeding and weaning of chicks is a good way of getting them used to a different food to feed there chicks also gives the female everything she needs for forming eggs and raising strong healthy chicks.

Good luck and i hope everything goes well for her..

Mike

3. zarate

zarate New Member

could this be it?

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes, I was going to ask if I should take the other pair out, but forgot...so thanks a bunch for mentioning it. It's possible to put them in another cage (we just went to a bird show last weekend...we got lots of new things for the kids...er birds :p
    I guess I knew it was a good sign that they were going in the nest box, only the 2 have been in there, but they both still groom the other budgies...so I wondered if they were curious, but then again I've had that nest box in there for a long time because they love to play on top of it. So I'll get my other cage set up ASAP to give the pair some privacy! Also, I've started giving them nestling food since I wasn't sure what they were doing. They also get petamine weekly...is that something I should give them more of since they are acting like they want to nest? Thanks again!
    -Mandi

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi once i set my birds up the only things i really change is there diet and they get extra fruit and veggies and the nestling food, They always have cuttlefish bone and mineral blocks in there cages at all times and i make sure there is no draughts and they get enough light.

Aslong as they are getting everything they need there is n need for supplements.
    Egg laying birds usually eat alot of cuttlefish you may find you will need to replace it a couple of times since they eat so much of it this is a good sign they know they need it to produce good eggs and strong boned chicks.

Also when they eat alot of cuttlefish it also tells you that there calcium levels are higher than they should be and reduces the risk of egg binding.
    It has been known for birds with a calcium deficiency to eat the eggs as they lay them...

Mike

5. zarate

zarate New Member

could this be it?

Well....I took the other pair of budgies out of the cage that has the nest box, and the other 2 stopped going in there completely....so I put the other pair back in there and now they are all happy and the first pair is starting to go back in the nest box. So I guess I'll have to get another nest box to put in there since they didn't like it too well I separated them. Do have any idea why they did that? Should I keep a light on later in the evening for them? Because it's winter now and the days are short and I have no artificial light...yet they're still goin' in the box. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    -Mandi

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hiya mandi it seems like the 2 pairs have bonded that well they don't like being seperated the thing about keeping 2 pairs together is that sometimes they share the other ones partner if you know what i mean so when it comes to seperating them its hard.

If they are all happy being together then i would just attach another nest box and let them get on with it but if you see any fighting i would seperate them and leave them in there seperated cages.

Since you are wanting to breed the birds need 14hours of light so since the days are shorter what i do is count the hours from when its light in there room when it starts to come in dark i switch a light on and make the hours up to 14 with artificial light this then gives them there 14hours of light it has to be full spectrum meaning it has to light up the whole room.

Hopefully everything will be fine and you will have to females that start laying at the same time and they will raise there chicks together..

Good luck and you know where i am if you need anymore advice sorry i have not been on msn much i have had computer problems but hopefully they are soted now..

Mike

7. zarate

zarate New Member

coule this be it?

Hey Mike, thanks for such a fast reply to my post!
    It seems the 4 of them have bonded quite closely, so I'll do like you said and just watch them close, especially if eggs are laid. I think I'll put the other nest box at the same height, just at the opposite end of their cage, that way it's "fair" and nobody gets a higher nest. And as far as who the parents are, I don't care...they are all strong healthy active and old enough to breed...so I'll let them figure that out on their own. I don't think the second pair will try to nest, but they will still be getting the nestling food and all the other goodies as the other pair....so that won't be a problem, will it? As far as MSN....I won't be on as much either due to computer difficulties, so the only time I get on is when I visit my parents. Thanks!
    -Mandi

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sounds like you have everything under control and the other pair is getting everything they need if they do decide to breed even if they don't now if the first pair have chicks in the nest this induces breeding in the other pair something to do with chicks crying makes the other females around broody..

Good luck...

Mike