1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Crate Training Need Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by MsMesha, Apr 28, 2006.

1. MsMesha

MsMesha New Member

Good Morning,
    I am a new puppy owner and this is our family's first dog. I purchased a crate for our 10wk old Cocker Spaniel, Leo, so that I can get him trained to stay inside the crate when we are away from home. I am a homemaker so it's rare that I am not home during the day but I do have alot of funcitons going on throughout the week that have me and my family away from home in the afternoons/evenings. On yesterday I put Leo in the crate for an hour and he whinned the entire hour!! He's in the crate now and is whinning like crazy. I want to give in and let him out, but I know deep in my heart this is a learning process and I must endure. Leo can't see me because I am in my bedroom with the door closed. I did that so that I would not further add insult. I know he's not in any pain and is not hungry nor does he needs to potty. I have a few questions....

1.Once I let him out should I reward him although he whined the entire time?
    2.Will he remember me as the one who put him in the crate and let him cry and not like me much? * I noticed on yesterday when I let him out the crate he followed me around the house the entire day* So I guess Im asking about the long term effects.
    3. Is there anything I can do to help calm him down when he's left alone like this? * I've noticed he doesn't like being alone PERIOD and that's understandable...a new home, enviroment and new people.*

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Welcome to the group. If you Google the phrase "Crate Training" you will find a wealth of information.
    As for amusement, purchase a Kong brand chew toy. They come in various sizes and are made of an almost indestructable rubber. You place treats inside the toy and your pup entertains himself by trying to get at the treats. Some people use peanut butter and freeze the kong first.

To help with the teething I recommend a solid Nylabone, not the edible kind. Some people swear by raw marrow bones they get from the butcher. My boys love to gnaw on the Nylabones and they last a real long time.

You should now begin the Nothing In Life Is Free regimen where your pup must obey a command, like sitting, before he receives anything like food or treats. Every family member should stick by the regimen.. This will establish you as the authority figure and will make all training a lot easier. Believe me, if you don't train the dog the dog will train you.

Speaking of training, I also recommend a basic obedience class that you can sign up for at most large pet stores like PetsMart. A group class also allows your pup to socialize with other dogs and people.

The last advice I will offer at this time is to neuter the pup as soon as your vet recommends the procedure. Your pup will live a much longer and healthy life.

Keep us posted on your progress and also post photo's.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Crate training goes more smoothly if you work up to it slowly. Make the crate a really nice place to be, by feeding him treats while he is inside it, etc. Work up to walking out of the room for short periods of time. NEVER let him out when he is whining. Wait for him to stop for even 2 seconds before you let him out. And no, he won't hold a grudge or be mad at you for putting him in the crate to begin with.

Here is a nice article for you to read for more information: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/o...m/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html

4. MsMesha

MsMesha New Member

Thank you for the article

I read the article about crate training and I also read the one about "separation anxiety". I know it's too early to tell if Leo is indeed suffering from "separation anxiety" due to him being in a new enviroment, but he mimics alot of the behaviors associated with "separation anxiety". I will cut back on his amount of crate time considerably. I will take the steps outlined in that article you posted for me and hopefully I can help him get through this period.

*As soon as he stopped whinning today, I let him out the crate and held him. I came to my room and he climbed out of my lap and into my bed and fell asleep.* HOW TOUCHING!! I love this puppy!

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hi MsMesha, I only just saw this thread and have put some info in your other thread, dont know if itll help you at all.

6. ACO

ACO New Member

I find that my clients have the most success when the crate is in a general area of the house where your dog can see you. Reason being is that it's easier to get used to one thing at a time.

While we see logic in leaving the room the dog only knows that he's locked in a box and you're gone.

My advice is to crate him while you're home and moving about the house going on with your day where your puppy will hear and occasionally see you. Ignore any whining and just go on with your activities around the house. (your dog is more likely to relax with the situation when he/she sees you and can tell that you're not worried about anything) This also gives your dog comfort in knowing that while he/she can't be right with you they can still hear you. This leaves your dog only dealing with one thing at a time.

I always tell people that trying to crate your dog and leave is like a double whammy for them to have to deal with. Your dog will likely get used to being crated quicker if you do this in shorter time periods while you are home.

7. MsMesha

MsMesha New Member

First Puppy Training Class a Success!!

Good Morning All,
    Having a new member is truly an adjustment, but, nonetheless a good one! This week has been far much better than last week which was Leo's first week in his new home. Yesterday was a pretty hectic day for him, we did the groomers and our first puppy training class. I LOVED watching him respond to other pups, it was cute, although I know I misunderstood alot of his actions as "fighting" when they were actually playing, so see Leo has ALOT to teach me. So for the person who suggested puppy training classes, Thank you so much!! I love and need all the advice I can get and I'm using it too. Life is much easier when you have people you can express your thoughts or concerns with and they have a vast amount of experience/advice for you and the advice actually Works!! Today I will began working with Leo on our first Lesson which is to have him trained to look at me when I say, "Watch me". I got treats and energy........so bring it on Leo!!

8. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:D Glad your both having so much fun together. Ive been training for a long time and I will definately admit that even now, every dog I work with teaches me something I didnt know before or hadnt thought of before. Its a never ending learning experience.

9. harrilb

harrilb New Member

I have crate trained my puppy... this is the first dog I have done this with. Let me tell you... it is the BEST thing ever and makes life with dogs SOO much easier! I have 4 dogs and since my puppy, I have crate trained two of the others.

A few things I would remember...

*NEVER reward your dog or praise him for coming OUT of the crate (this will just make him want out even more)
    *Never put your dog in the crate as a punishment... it should be a sanctuary that he feels safe and happy in.
    *Always reward your dog and praise him for going IN his crate
    *try leaving for short amounts of time at first so he knows that you WILL come back for him.

A good website is the Suite101 site... here is the link.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/8647/112080

My puppy cried a lot at first but now he LOVES his crate and will go sleep in there even when I dont make him....

Good luck!