1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Crate Training

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by PooGirl13, Mar 21, 2004.

?

Did you crate train your puppy?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Just curious if you crate trained your pup. If no, why not? If yes, why did you?

:D

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

poogirl.... I never crated Bailey purely because I'm a WHIMP and knew that I couldn't stick to it in the beginning. Judging by Bailey, I wouldn't even attempt to do it on the next one ... he is a good boy (95% of the time) and his potty training went AWESOME. I know a lot of people who have and had great results too...... so I think it totally will come down to personal preference! But you are going to have TWO at the same time so I think things are going to be on a WHOLE 'NUDDER level for you!! LOL :)

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

No, just simply because when I was growing up I knew no one that did. When I got my dogs they were 1 year and 4 so, it never crossed my mind.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Nope, I never technically crate trained my dogs. I only crated them once and a while to get them used to being in a crate in case there was ever a need for them to be in one in the future. Luckily, they took to it (the crate) very well and had no problems being in it.

I know many people who have crate trained and are EXTREMELY happy with it! I chose not to because I (ME, PERSONALLY) didn't feel it was necessary for my pups. Whenever I couldn't keep and eye on them, I would simply put them in the kitchen (which is puppy-proofed VERY well)! One of the doorways in my kitchen has no door and is open to the rest of the house, so I purchased a swinging baby gate so I could close off the doorway when I would leave Mickey & Tigger in the kitchen...those swinging gates are GREAT, I HIGHLY recommend them if you are looking to put up a gate in a high-traffic area! Anyhow, this is the method I used instead of crate training, and I was very happy with it (Mickey & Tigger were housebroken in no time, so no problems there)!

I guess it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable doing and what you feel would be best for your dogs! :D

Good Luck! (I can't wait to see pics :mrgreen: )

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hubby & I are still in the process of deciding if we are going to or not.. I appreciate the responses! It's great to hear that you have all had success not doing it, it really helps :)

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

To be honest I had never heard of it until I started reading at Auspet. I think it would have made things a little easier b/c my poms were quiet stubborn at housebreaking and at a little over a year old we still have battles with them.

7. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

i voted no.

well the first night we brought bella home i fixed her up all nice in a small bathroom (connected to the bedroom) in my parents house. she actually spent that night in there in her bed just fine. but the second night she cried. seeing that bella is the first puppy my boyfriend ever had he caved and went to "rescue" her :mrgreen:

so even though i made a somewhat attempt at crate training her (well let's call it bathroom training ;) ) it didn't work out.

8. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I crate trained Ranger, because the person I got him from (A good friend of mine, who bred her brittany) highly reccomended it. If her dog was doing things it wasn't supposed to, she would say 'kennel' and the dog would run to her kennel and lie in there until she was told she could come out. It has been very nice, especially at night, since Ranger likes to be a bed hog when he does get on the bed, and if he were anywhere else I would worry too much about him getting into something!

9. nern

nern New Member

I did'nt crate train Natalie because I really did'nt know anything about crate training at the time and thought it was mean. I probably would'nt have done it anyway because I work full time and she would have had to be in the crate for too long.

10. poppycorn

poppycorn New Member

yes

I did not crate train my chihuahua at first. I then bought I very large crate, about the size for a medium size dog. I could fit a bed and a housetraining pad. Now, I have a very small crate that fits only a housebreaking pad (I call a diaper). My puppy only goes to the bathroom in the crate. It worked out very well. I live in a condo and the midwest, so it gets hard to bring him out all the time! I took the crate away, and only used the bottom tray, but he didnt like it. He wanted the whole crate.

11. Jas

Jas New Member

YES!! We've crate trained all of ours. Once they reach adulthood and can be trusted in the house they get free run. I highly recommend crate training to my puppy families for many reasons. First as puppies to keep them safe when unsupervised while we are out (no chewing plants, electric cords etc). Traveling safely is important and that usually entails the need for a crate. If circumstances occur where a dog needs to be transported or fly or go to a vets office I want my dogs used to small quarters (save added stress). Ever try and get a 100 lb Rescue dog determined to be free, in a crate? Guess that wouldn't apply to most dogs in a toy forum LOL but the less stress should an emergency happen, the better!

12. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I crate trained Rocky when he was a puppy. Like Jas said it keeps them safe when they're unsupervised.

:idea: I started out with a small crate and only put him in it for a few minutes at a time. It also helped if I put in a kong with a bit of peanut butter on it in with him (suggestion from my vet).

When we're not home Rocky has a large crate that he stays in (about the right size for a retriever) and one beside my bed that's smaller which he sleeps in.

It really helps when I'm travelling because when I take him in my car he always wants to lick my face or sit on my lap when I'm driving, so this way I can put him in his crate until we get where we're going. Safer for both of us! 8)

Also whenever I have to take him to the vet and he has to stay overnight (like when he got neutered) the crate makes him feel like he's at home.

13. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I never use a crate unless I just have to .My puppies do not like being confined to that small area ,although I put them in a really large one each day to clean the room .Other than that I rarely ever use one . I don't like it ,but each person is different .If it works ,okay but they can't stay there all day everyday .To me it would be cruel .

14. Alabamamom1

Alabamamom1 New Member

:D I did not crate train Romeo, but I think there are definite plus for anyone who does crate train. I am a stay at home mom, so I felt that there was not any reason for me to crate him as long as I could keep a close eye on him.

15. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

We crate trained Banjo and have been very pleased with the results. Now that he is older, he can go anywhere in the house at any time and we never have to worry about him. We are now in the process of crate training Scrappy. However, someone is here all day every day but Monday so he gets lots of time outside of the crate.

16. dbuzzw

dbuzzw New Member

yes

I crate trained Baxter & Graysie, well, sort of. They sleep in their crates at night in our bedroom. They stay in a large gated kitchen during the day if no one is home, but I am gone for too many hours to put them in a crate during daylight hours. I thought this was the best of both worlds - they learned to "hold it", they got used to the crate in case it's necessary later, but since it was during sleep time, I didn't feel guilty leaving them in there. After all, I am confined to my bed all night. :)

17. dbuzzw

dbuzzw New Member

Sorry! I did it again. Duplicate post. n/m

n/m