1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

culling

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, May 27, 2004.

?

Do you believe in culling your deformed fish?

1. yes definatly, no second thoughts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes, if he was going to breed deformed offspring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. yes, if his life was a living hell for him/her

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

hiya, just a post to put on the following poll about culling.

There are five criteria, if your fish fall in to this criteria you are meant to kill it to stop it reproducing odd looking fish and for generally looking bad to the eye.

here are the criteria.

you must kill off you fish if:

* it has any form of spinal deformity

* bent or shotened opercula (gill covers)

* any fish that has an air bladder defect (belly sliders)

*bent or distorted fin rays

*Distorted body or head shape (such as pug nose.

I am strongly against culling due to the above reasons.

I rescued a whether loach from my LFS. He has severe spinal deformaty from where his previous owners tank electricuted the whether lach and deformed his spine.
    He hasa problem with boyency. he cant stay on the ground unless he lays under something.

he lives a happy life, and is a lot bigger, and eats and lives happily.

If the fish was seriously in pain and disabled, id still be reluctant to cull, but if it haad his best interests in heart, i would do it, with resentment.

But i would never cull, just coz he would produce wiggly offspring (if he could breed).

Please complete the poll and coment if you wish,

Thank you.

amy. x

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's a tough question.

I actually own a deformed OB Peacock (which is a hybrid too, but that's another argument :wink: ). Her mouth & one side of her face is a bit deformed but she's a great little fish and it doesn't prevent her from leading a normal life.

I've luckily not had any deformed fry yet, but if I do end up with any, and if the deformity will prevent them from leading a normal, happy life, then yes, I probably will cull a fish. A deformed fish is a lot less likely to sell and what kind of life would it have being stuck in a LFS aquarium? Plus I don't think my buyer would appreciate me giving her deformed fish and w/o a buyer I'd end up having to cull all my fry.

-Chelle

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

Couldn't do it. I have several deformed zebra danios with hump backs and kinks in their spines but they've grown just as large as the un-deformed ones and swim normally, eat normally etc.

If I had to wind up with a tank full of deformed fish fry that'd be fine because at least I'd know they'd be looked after.

4. 3_second_memory

when i went to my LFS a few months ago, there was asmall i gues gold fish, him and one other.
    this fish looked alot like john merrick.

like yours t-chelle, his mouth was very deformed, inflamed and he couldnt swim straight. he still ate, and looked happy, not that youd tell coz his dorsal fin was missing, but he always sawm at his best, and eventually learnt how to stay off the ground a swim a bit straighter. unfortunatly, nature took its course.

i dont know what the LDS were going to do with him, but i asked them if i could buy him cheap, and they gave it me free for me to give to my boyfriend.

t-chelle, are you a supplier then?

ill have to sell my Guppy fry soon. not the a LFS, but to people who answer a poster in my local newsy.

take care,

Amy. x

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not a big-time supplier, I just have one LFS that's said she'd be happy to buy some fry from me occasionally (it takes about 3 months for them to get selling size). And another LFS that has bought some from me once, but we haven't really come to an agreement for future transactions yet.

My fish are going to breed if I want them to or not, so it's just fun to be able to watch the fry grow up then be able to get a few bucks for them.

FWIW, here's my deformed OB peacock. Her mouth is really crooked, one side of her face is a little caved in, and her "nose" is shorter than it should be.
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

6. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

AWE! :p Chelle your little crooked guy is sooo cute! I used to think that deformed fish would not survive but I guess they can so..."NO!" I don't think we should cull our fish unless it is suffering!

7. 3_second_memory

HE LOOKS CUTE, LIKE A NEEDY LITLE THING!

HEHE.

I WISH I CD PUT A PICTURE OF TWISLER ON, BUT I CANT!!

:cry:

HE LOOKS LIKE, UMMMMMMM, WELL, HE LOOKS LIKE A LOPNG WIGLE.

~~~~~~ A BIT LIKE THAT WITH A HEAD AND A TAIL.

BUT MORE BENT!

HEHE.

T-CHELLE CD U PUT A PHOTO UP OF YOUR AQUARIUM (S) IM INTERESTED TO HOW IT LOOKS, MINE IS HEAVILY PLANTED WITH BOG WOOD, WELL JAVA FERN, IT DID HAVE BOG WOPDD INDIVIDUAL BUT NOT ITS JAVA FERN IN PLACE!

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't want to hijack this thread so I put the pictures here:
    http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19300#19300

-Chelle

9. 3_second_memory

whats wrong with hyjacking?

i think it would be amusing!!!!

but thats just me.