1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling my brand new tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by :o)rosie:o), Mar 5, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

Yay! We've just been down to one of lfs that we had no idea was there & bought a 20" fish tank to start breeding my guppies in. Is there a specific length of time that I should cycle my tank for according to its size?
    Any advice would be appreciated :y_the_best:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There's no set time. You cycle the tank until it's done cycling and you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, and some amount of nitrAte.

Everything you need to know about fishless cycling:
    http://flippersandfins.net/CyclingFishless.htm

-Chelle

3. :o)rosie:o)

Thanks chelle. I didn't know you cycled your tank until it had those readings. I've previously checked out that site after you posted the link for somebody else.

4. :o)rosie:o)

Ok, we set up the tank this arvo. The heater is in but isn't on (should it be on?), the gravel is down, the water is in & has had drops to de-chlorinate the water & the fliter is going. Is there anyhting else or anything I've missed that I should be doing?

Thanks

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, you should turn the heater on. Other than that you just need to start adding your pure ammonia.

-Chelle

6. :o)rosie:o)

Excellent. I will do it I'm just curious about why we should turn on the heater. The link you posted said I can a cleaning product as pure ammonia, can you reccomend any?

Thanks

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A warmer temperature will help the bacteria grow more quickly so the tank will cycle a little faster.

I have to admit, I've never actually fishless cycled a tank. We set up our first tank before we knew about fishless cycling and from there, we just used established media when setting up the others. Your best bet would be to look at ingredients lists on products and find one that's 100% ammonia.

-Chelle

8. :o)rosie:o)

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I just read somewhere today that dollar stores tend to be more likely to have pure ammonia than other stores. Also, you should look for ammonia that is clear and doesn't foam when you shake the bottle.

-Chelle