1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cysts

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by letsgopens, May 10, 2004.

1. letsgopens

letsgopens New Member

can anyone help me? my cat has a liquid filled cyst on his back, I had it drained with a needle at the vets once and it cost $45. It then came back faster and really big. Does anyone know what I can do to make it not come back. I don't have alot of money to keep going to the vet. thanks

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm sorry your kitty has a cyst on it's back. Unfortunately with cysts the only thing that can be done for a long term cure is to have it removed by a vet. Just draining it with a needle is pretty useless. It will just continue to fill up with fluid. When I first read your post I though perhaps your kitty had an abscess, until you mentioned that it was drained with a needle. You may want to call around at some of the low cost shelters or even regular vets and ask them how much it would cost to remove the cyst and if they would be willing to offer you low monthly payments. You may also ask if you could work off the fee at the vet office or shelter. I hope you are able to find a vet office or shelter that is willing to work with your finacial situation. I wish you and your kitty all the best. Good luck. :D

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi again. I was just reading some other posts and you had posted the above information. I would still give it a go at calling all the vets in your city and see if they will work with you finacially. If you still can't find a vet to help you, call around outside of your city to the surrounding towns. They may have their own local shelters that are more helpful.

4. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

hi i say this alot but have u thought about pet insurance?? most insurance plans monthly payments r very low..... and it will save alot of $$$

5. letsgopens

letsgopens New Member

cyst

I live in the big city, Pittsburgh is the place other people would come to. I called almost all the vets in the phone book except for the ones I already know would not help because of previous experience and no vet will help for cheap or anything. They all want money up front, this same cat almost died a number of years back because of blocked urinary problem, he was in major pain and they would not help him, they would not have even put him to sleep for free, they said I would have to take him home and let him die. HE WAS IN BAD PAIN AND BLEEDING AND EVERYTHING. My mom had a credit card and it costs hundreds of dollars and it took me years to pay her back. I can't do that again. I live on a little more than $500 a mth for 2 people and so pet insurance is out, I don't have insurance for me or my daughter. I can't always afford the special food he needs now but I pay less on a bill and buy it. I don't believe in getting a animal and then throwing it away when the going gets tough, but it is rediculous that there are no low cost vets!!! Even the Animal Rescue League doesn't have a low cost vet they only give shots for what they say is low cost(they aren't much lower than anywhere else). If these vets get in it for pets they should know there are people out there that can't pay full price and if they want to help out the poor pet owners all the time they could at least have one dad a week where if you can prove you are poor they should help your pet for less money, but they won't because they know people are going to not help they pets. It is all about the money. They charge whatever they want.

6. sparky

sparky New Member

My siamese cat had a large bump on his cheek this morning and I wasn't sure if something had bit him or what? Then a few minutes ago, he looked like he was peeing out a mucousy liquid; but I realized his bump had popped or bursted and had a whitish/yellowish thick puss leaking and a little bit of blood where the bump was! What in the heck is it, does anybody know? Should I worry and take him to the vet or give it a few days to see what happens? I've come to a hault in options!!!! :shock:

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Sparky: Hi. It sounds like your kitty has an abscess(a collection of puss) that is draining. I think it's always best to see the vet. However, if you don't have the funds you can treat it at home. You want to keep the area from forming a scab. So if you use a clean wash cloth (with water only) and gently clean the area it will keep it draining. You also have to take your cat's temperature at least two times a day, as abscesses may cause a fever (very dangerous if it gets too high). Normal range is around 100F-102F. If it gets higher than this your kitty needs to see a vet and get on antibiotics to not only get the fever down, but to help your cat's body fight the infection (abscess). Do not put hydrogen peroxide on the area (it kills good tissue and does more harm than good). Also do not put creams like Neosporine on it. They are very useless and can also cause more bacteria to breed. Good luck.