1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

darn filter

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OneWolvesDream, May 23, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i just took out my filter because it is not working as well as it should. when i put it back and started it up it started spewing all the just that was in the filter into te water and i put the filter and everything as it should be and it still isnt working so here are my questions

1. why isnt the filter working properly
    2. why is it throwing all the junk into the water if everything is right i bouble checked!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

All the junk that's getting into the water is probably just some stuff that was loosened from the filter media.

What exactly is the filter doing? Is the impeller not turning? Or is it just backing up (water flowing out where the intake is)? If it's just backing up, try rinsing out your filter media in dechlorinated tap water. If it's the impeller, try cleaning it off or replacing it.

-Chelle

3. OneWolvesDream

im g2 buy a new filter insert. it is kinda old now i guess

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

When you replace it, try to squeeze the old media out onto the new media. Otherwise you'll be throwing away most of your bacteria.

-Chelle

5. OneWolvesDream

oops! :oops: :oops: :oops: but the water was in the filter frm the old one and it seems fine

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There may be enough bacteria in your substrate so you might only see a mini cycle. Just keep an eye on your water parameters.

-Chelle

7. OneWolvesDream

i just checked on my waters and everything is fine the filter is running nicely and the water is still as clear as it always was (so proud!) and the fish are fine, exept for one that had a grey bump on her head. i started treating the water will melafix and she is back to eating again :eek:

8. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

Sounds good! I'm glad your fish is doing well again. :eek: I have an H.O.B. filter and whenever I mess with it to rinse or change any of the media it does cloud the water a little at first but within a few hours is all clear again.

9. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

iv had that, lauren, you spend all that time cleaning it to make your tank clean, and it then pukes out gunge in to your tank, i just reckon it will filter back in eventually.

sometimes, if the impellor isnt clean, it dont work and i even found if you forget to put the impellor back in, it doenst work either, hehhe.

perhaps you had air stuck in it. steve cleaned my fluvasl yesterday, and when he put it back in it didnt work, so he fiddled with it again, and put it back in and all was fine.

10. OneWolvesDream

yup iv cleaned that thing from top to bottom. and it seems ok half od the flow coming out on the left is full blast and on the right its slowly coming out. its very odd