1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Darting common goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

For some odd reason or another when ever I go to look at my fish tank with my ropefish, 3 surviving convicts and two feeder goldfish, I noticed that the goldfish start darting around the tank like crazy like it was chased by the oscars when they were in there (my two oscars and convicts from D-DAY), but none of the other fish are chasing them, because my ropefish couldn't care less about stupid feeder goldfish, and the feeder goldfish are bigger than the juvenile convict cichlids, so why is it does this? The good thing is that my tank is completely cycled and my friend tested my water with their water testing kit and my water quality was good. So why is this happening?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Define "good". What are the actual numbers? Has there been any pH swings? Is the heater broken?

-Chelle

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Definition of "GOOD":

GOOD - pH: 7.0
    Nitrate - 1.0
    Nitrite - 2.0

I forgot to add that there were no changes in my pH and the heater is not broken. Any advise?

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Definition of "GOOD":

GOOD - pH: 7.0
    Nitrate - 1.0
    Nitrite - 2.0 Lol

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

This is a great example of why I never accept "good" or "fine" when I ask for water parameters. A nitrIte reading of 2 is BAD, not good. It should be 0.

If there's nitrIte present, either you don't have enough filteration, your tank is overstocked, or it is going through a mini cycle for some reason.

Refresh my memory, how big is the tank? And how large are all the fish?

For the time being, do water changes to get the nitrIte back down to 0.

-Chelle

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I just did a water change and I got my nitrates and nitrites both to 1.0. My pH is still at 7.0. My tank is 45 gallons, with 1 ropefish, 3 1 inch cons and 2 feeders.

7. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Sorry I forgot to add, that possibly today I will be getting rid of all the cons and possibly the goldfish, but in the mean time I don't know what is wrong with them.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Do they look like they're scratching on the decorations? High nitrItes could be stressing them so it could be the very early stages of ich.

-Chelle

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Naw, they are not scratching, but just swimming around from one end of the tank to the other end and then hiding and then doing it again.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Without any other physical symptoms, I'm really at a loss. What's the temperature of the tank? My only guess is something is irritating them. Maybe the high nitrItes.

-Chelle