1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Bird! Paranoid Mom!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MonsterBailey, Sep 7, 2004.

1. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Sooooo it's a gorgeous day! Not a care in the world.... Hmmmm. Then (((POOF!!))) Bailey is in the backyard doing his thing and then making some weird noises (scratching-kind of noises)... I come to investigate and he's standing over a DEAD BIRD!! Bless his little heart, cuz he the look on his face was really weird... like WORRIED about it! He had his tail between his legs and everything. I didn't see him touching it... but I'm sure that's the noises I heard.

AAAAAAAAARGH!!! We've had two cases of West Nile Virus reported in my area/county, so I'm now officially FREAKING OUT! I called the vet (of course, this has to happen on Labor Day when no one is in the office) and I left a message with the answering service. I don't want to just assume that he's fine and there is nothing to worry about. Right?

So, since I'm waiting for the phone to RRRRRRRING. I am online and trying to do a little research. I checked the County Health Department's website and they have a form to report a dead bird (done! check!).... and, of course, no one is answering their hotline number on Labor Day.

I think I read on another thread that dogs can't get WNV, but I haven't heard if that's officially "true" or not......

Any thoughts!?!? What to do... what to do.....

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

This is what the WNV Website states:

It is currently unknown whether WNV infection causes illness in other domestic animals such as dogs and cats. Veterinarians with California DHS are available to discuss unusual illnesses among dogs, cats, or other domestic animals with private practitioners.

and on another page...

Other animals—Wild birds infected with West Nile virus in the United States are most often found dead; therefore, descriptions of clinical signs in wild birds are not readily available. Nor have clinical signs associated with West Nile virus infection in dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, domestic rabbits, and domestic birds been well described. It appears that, although they may be infected, many members of these latter species rarely develop clinical signs of disease.

While that seems to be good news.... I still am worried! :(

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Awww man, Monster, I wish I could help you out, but I am not quite sure what the answer is! :( Is there a local 24 hr. vet clinic that you could call and ask?

So sorry I can't help you, let us know what you find out...I'm curious as to what the answer is b/c West Nile has struck our area as well (actually, a bird w/ West Nile was found in my neighbor's yard :shock: )!!!

Let's hope for the best!!! :D

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

bummer... was hoping you'd have some great advice! LOL...

actually, my vet never called me back..... grrrrrrr..... I'm going to assume that perhaps they were out of town for the three day weekend. I'll call again tomorrow.

He's been acting perfectly fine.... so I'm just going to keep watching him very closely. But, so far, so good.......Poor dog can't even move without me watching him ! LOL.... I'm not sure what I'm looking for though! LOL

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hey Monster, I just did a really quick search on the 'net to see what info there was about dogs and West Nile, and here are a few sites that looked (I didn't fully read them) like they had some useful/good info on the subject:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news ... 19655.html

http://adventuretravel.about.com/librar ... 82502e.htm

http://edcp.org/html/wn.html

http://www.homeagainid.com/news/article ... ryid=14989

(I'd look harder and further for more info for ya', but I have to go to bed, sorry! :( )

:D

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thanks a bunch, mybaby!

I checked out all the articles.... and it seems as though I really have nothing to be worried about. Especially since I don't even know about the bird...!! He probably just "ran" into the window, huh!? :) anyhow, judging from the information that I read earlier and what you provided -- it's unlikely for dogs to contract it (they said only 40 cases that they know of) and all have had positive results.

(((((PHEW))))))))
    I'm going to go have a drink now.... lol.....

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

You're more than welcome, Monster!!! :y_the_best:

From the little bits and pieces I read, it sounded as though there wasn't a whole lot to worry about when it comes to West Nile and dogs...that's good news!!! :wink:

:D

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

The vet called today... said there isn't anything to do at this point. She said not to worry.. and just watch him. Apparently, there aren't any vaccines for WNV for dogs (probably cuz they aren't needed). She told me to take the bird to animal control -- but it's too late, cuz I gave him a trash can burial yesterday.

Anyhow, Bailey was perfectly fine last nite and today.... so I think I was just, as I said, PARANOID! :)

9. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Birds are notorious mites carriers. So, hope you gave him a bath. I would think after awhile of this going on with the birds, they should come up with a hotline to call. Give that boy a good scrub.

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

OMG! I NEVER even thought about that! the thing is he just went to the groomers yesterday so he was "extra clean"...... I think I'll go bathe him right now!!