1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Bird!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by MonsterBailey, Sep 7, 2004.

1. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Sooooo it's a gorgeous day! Not a care in the world.... Hmmmm. Then (((POOF!!))) Bailey is in the backyard doing his thing and then making some weird noises (scratching-kind of noises)... I come to investigate and he's standing over a DEAD BIRD!! Bless his little heart, cuz he had this really weird look on his face ... like WORRIED about it! He had his tail between his legs and everything. I didn't see him touching it... but I'm sure that's the noises I heard.

AAAAAAAAARGH!!! We've had two cases of West Nile Virus reported in my area/county, so I'm now officially FREAKING OUT! I called the vet (of course, this has to happen on Labor Day when no one is in the office) and I left a message with the answering service. I don't want to just assume that he's fine and there is nothing to worry about. Right?

So, since I'm waiting for the phone to RRRRRRRING. I am online and trying to do a little research. I checked the County Health Department's website and they have a form to report a dead bird (done! check!).... and, of course, no one is answering their hotline number on Labor Day.

I think I read on another thread that dogs can't get WNV, but I haven't heard if that's officially "true" or not......

Any thoughts!?!? What to do... what to do.....

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

This is what the WNV Website states:

It is currently unknown whether WNV infection causes illness in other domestic animals such as dogs and cats. Veterinarians with California DHS are available to discuss unusual illnesses among dogs, cats, or other domestic animals with private practitioners.

and on another page...

Other animals—Wild birds infected with West Nile virus in the United States are most often found dead; therefore, descriptions of clinical signs in wild birds are not readily available. Nor have clinical signs associated with West Nile virus infection in dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, domestic rabbits, and domestic birds been well described. It appears that, although they may be infected, many members of these latter species rarely develop clinical signs of disease.

While that seems to be good news.... I still am worried! :(

3. Rene

Rene New Member

oh monster i have no idea but i just wanted to wish you luck and tell you that i hope everything works out for poor little bailey you said you didnt see him touch it so i think he should be fine. I thought that came from misquotes i didnt know birds also

let us know what the vet says

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thanks rene! :)

still no call from the vet (grrrr).... but supposedly the mosquitoes give it to birds and that's how it spreads, or something like that.... anyhow, I never heard from the Health Dept either, so I double bagged little Tweety up -- said sorry, Godspeed, etc.... and put him in the trashbin. :(

I've been researching it on the 'net and so far, it looks like dogs are pretty safe..... they didn't use those words, but you get my drift.

so, I am going to try not to worry.... and hopefully the vet will call soon.

5. Rene

Rene New Member

darn vets stuff always has to happen when they are closed beleive me when jasmine has babies it's going to be in the middle of the night and the only vet that will be open is going to be 1/2 hour away from me thats just my luck.

thank goodness for the internet we can find out so much info. even tho no one calls back. Poor birdy and bailey he was worried about the bird that is so cute.

I must say my cat oscar brings me "presents" like mice, rats and lizzards oh and one time a little snake bbbbbbbllllllahhhhhh he leaves them on the back porch so when i go out in the morning i see jasmine run in the house with something :shock: one time the stupid mouse was still alive aaaaarrhhhhh i had to yell for my son to get her and hold her back so I could try to catch the stupid thing eeeeeeewwwwwww.

well from what you have read i'm sure bailey will be fine what a cutie he is. I hope you have a great rest of the holiday. and i hope the vet calls you soon

6. lil96

lil96 New Member

Oh, I am so sorry for you. I can tell you seem pretty worried. I don't know anything about that stuff so I can't help you, but I say think positive!

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

From what I have read, dogs cannot get WNV.

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

The vet called today... said there isn't anything to do at this point - nor is there really anything to worry about. She said not to worry.. and just watch him. Apparently, there aren't any vaccines for WNV for dogs (probably cuz they really aren't needed). She told me to take the bird to animal control -- but it's too late, cuz I gave him a trash can burial yesterday.

Anyhow, Bailey was perfectly fine last nite and today.... so I think I was just, as I said, PARANOID!

I just got some advice about how I should have given him a bath since birds carry nasty ole mites... I never even THUNKED of that. derrr.. So, I'm off to give him a quick bath before BIG BROTHER! LOL (We're a reality t.v. family....! :) )