1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Deaf

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Aqueous, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My uncle recently found out that Otto (his 11 year old yorkie x schnauzer) is almost completely deaf. One morning he woke up and Otto was acting abnormally (not that he's usually a "normal" dog, but you know what I mean) and when he called him Otto wouldn't acknowledge him at all.

When he took him to the vet they examined his ears and found that he has little to none of his ear drums because of a ongoing infection caused by the moisture that builds up in his ears (he's got floppy ears).

Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with dogs that are deaf or have hearing problems and what they did to accomodate their impairment?

Other than his hearing problem Otto is perfectly healthy.

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

oh goodness, Aqueous.... I don't have a clue in this area. :(

GOOD LUCK! I'm sure there will be some info out here on the 'net

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I worked with a completely deaf Lab at the shelter, and instead of using verbal commands, I had to teach him everything through hand signals...not exactly easy, but not impossible! Special precautions must be made when outdoors if he is unleashed (i.e. he won't be able to hear his owner tell him to stop, no, or whatever, if Otto starts to wonder off).

To be perfectly honest, Otto will still have the same personality, however, he might act a little aloof due to the fact that he is deaf. Other than that, he should be just fine!

Patience also helps in dealing with a deaf dog! :y_the_best:

I know the above information is probably not all that useful for you, but I'm afraid that is all the info I can provide you! Maybe someone else on this board or the other can help you out further!

Kind Regards! :D

*Also, go to a major search engine on the internet, and type in a search about deaf dogs; I'm certain there will be a great deal of information concerning this issue that may be of some assistance to your uncle!

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

you might try posting this on the pit bull board, asking Gina for help. She has a deaf PB and should be able to help you

honeybear