1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

DEMO Mange??? Help me please

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by daybreak, Jul 18, 2004.

1. daybreak

daybreak New Member

After a trip to the vet with no answers I did alot of my own research and I realize my 9 week old lab pup has Demo Mange. At first he could not walk, eat and he was pussing like crazy and would 'cry' at the very touch of him. He was full of life before this. Now after two weeks of treatment, mainly alot of nuture, I fed him puppy formula, chicken and beef broth and give him baths he just started to lift himself up again.

Any good suggestions on how I can draw out this puss and get his infected areas cleaned up? He has been on antibiotic for the two weeks now also cephelaxin or however you spell it. The infection and hair loss is around his mouth/nose, his eyes, ears and ends of this paws.

I am still so sad but glad to see progression. OUr dog had a beautiful litter of puppies. This one is the only one who seemed to be affected. He had two HUGE lumps under his neck that seem to have gone down considerably.

I just wanted some suggestions on how to treat these open soars and all this YUCKY puss that keeps coming out all over....UGH....

We bath him often because he has no where to go to the bathroom but on himself because he could not lift himself up.

Please please help

Thanks in advance :cry:

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

OH IM so sorry. I have personally never had any experience with Demodetic mange. Sorry IM not much help.
    Sams just recently had a couple of puppies with Demodetic mange so Im sure she will have some great tips for you. She will most likely be on in the morning.

3. StormyWinter

StormyWinter New Member

When I first got Winter my Corgi\Eskimo mix she had demo mange. My vet gave will did not give but I bought from him a at home dip. Plus she was getting them at the vets as well. Is the pup getting dips? If not why did the vet not sugest(sp) this?

4. dogangel

dogangel New Member

:( I'm so sorry your puppy is sick!!! But - Demo mange is very easily treated. One of my GSDs had mange when we adopted him, but he got rid of it in a few weeks... in his was a severe one.
    O.K., first, I would go back to your vet and let him take a look at those puss filled soars. Mange, as far as I know, does not do that. This must be a side reaction to his mange attacked skin. Your vet needs tolook at these soars, and give your baby the appropriate antibiotics for that. As far as mange is concerned, my Willy was dipped, and then we kept him for a month on Ivermectin. It worked wonders!!! Plus a very highly nutritional diet should take care of this.
    Good luck and keep us posted!!! :)

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Does anyone know if a dog with open sores can be safely dipped?

Jamiya

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/sarcoptic_mange.html

Had a guy years ago with mange and puss filled sores. Vet took skin scraping.
    Do not bath dog over and over as this well make it worse, I think you well find most topical well do little good as it just keeps popping up every where . We ended up using and insecticide dip and I tell you now that stuff is mean, poor guy was down and out for 3-4 days. Don't let it go to long it can be very bad if left untreated. Your vet should explain how to apply the dip and be sure to ware good plastic gloves and keep dip and dog away from children.

2pyrs