1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

"Devil Dog" in the morning

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by mtee1958, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mtee1958

mtee1958 New Member

My 11 wk old Golden, Bailey (of the UTI thread!) can be quite the devil dog after he's had his morning food and water. I know he's letting off alot of energy stored up all night. But he will "attack" my robe! Either he is pulling at it or after being told NO several times, he will just lunge toward it several times. How do I settle him down during this hyper time? I'm fine with him racing around the yard -- but he needs to learn to leave "Mom" alone. :|

2. winnie

winnie New Member

mtee....I know how you feel. My pup Syd did that, infact still does. For some reason after breakfast she just gets so hyper. What I did was I got another puppy and they all play together instead of with me and my things during that hyper time. Sorry I can't be of help.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

It's not to early for a good puppy training class. That bounding energy has to directed into non-destructive behavior. I would put him out as soon as he finishes eating to burn up that energy. Goldens will always need a great deal of exercise to avoid boredom and thus destructive habits. By grabbing your robe the pup is getting a reaction out of you, even a strong negative NO. Any reaction is considered good in a dog's brain so you have inadvertently in a way encouraged this behavior. I had a problem with Freckles reaching out and grabbing my arm when he wanted attention. The more I told him NO the harder and faster he pawed at my arm. The trainer told me to cross my arms and turn my back when he started this pawing. That has worked
    Your pup may be too young to be deterred by ignoring him so thats why a class will help.

4. mtee1958

mtee1958 New Member

I am getting him into a class in November. All the other puppy classes were already too far along for us to join. You are right - I need to just ignore and walk away -- probably dragging him with me!
    Thanks

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Normal puppy behaivir!

You need to revert this energy somewhere else. Teach him to fetch a ball, play with toys or let him out for a walk/run!!!

6. mtee1958

mtee1958 New Member

I thought of a walk - but it's 6 in the morning and I'm in my robe -- before getting dressed for work. I'll try the ball routine.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Wheres Jimiya! she had this happen a lot with nala

honeybear

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Harley was really bad for the morning hyperness. That was the only thing that changed after her spay. Now she hates to get up before 11. hehe

Anyways, definately do some morning excercises with her whether its running, or catch. Just make sure its something fast that will burn energy. Walking won't really do this. I play fetch with Harley for 40 mins each morning before I leave for work/school and this works wonders for her. If you can't last that long that's okay, as long as there is some activity it should slow him down. Also make sure he is getting tons of excercise throughout the evening as well.

good luck. (Maybe you could take out the belt?! ;))

9. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

He also sounds like he's a great caidate for the NILIF plan!!!