1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dew Claws to remove or not ?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by LDG, Feb 22, 2005.

1. LDG

LDG New Member

I am on the fence here. The stud owner is against the removal of dew claws. She feels these are toes with life in them and it would be like removing a baby's toe or finger. Although not used it is still a living part of the dog with blood running through it. She says it is very painful for the pups and once removed infection can set in from just the puppy pen with all the other pups eliminating and what not. Her argument to me makes sense. ON the other hand the vet is telling me to come into the office on day three to have pups dew claws removed..his assistant is agreeing and pushing for it. The assistants argument is one I have heard for a long time about injuries in the field and such. I know many labs with and without dew claws. So I am undecided. Please let me know your thoughts and preferences if any. Thank you

2. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I had a St. Bernard whose dew claws were not removed when he was a puppy and he did end up getting one snagged on something and ripping the nail out. My other 2 St.s had their dew claws removed when they were puppies. Both healed fine. I wasn't there to witness the removal so I don't know how painful it was, but they were fine when I got them.

I think removal is for the best. If they do have a problem with the dew claws later in life, it requires surgery/anesthesia to remove them so why not just snip them off when they are pups? I have heard there is not much to it. jmo.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I prefer removal, but that's just my opinion. There really isn't much to the removal if it's done at three days of age. I've seen a lot of puppies never even wake up during the procedure, although some yell for a minute or so. The risk of infection is minimal, as the bitch is removing all waste the puppies produce at that age.

I've seen many dogs with torn, bloody dew claws. I've seen many more with ingrown, infected toenails on the dew claws. Those nails don't wear off like the other nails, and if the owner isn't paying close enough attention, they can grow right back around and into the toe.

The arguement that the toes are living tissue with a blood supply doesn't really carry much weight. When we spay/neuter our pets, the parts we remove are living tissue with blood flowing through them too. But I don't think that's much of a reason to keep the pet intact.

That said, it's really up to you. It's your decision, not the stud owners, not the vets, and certainly not mine. What ever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful, healthy litter. And enjoy the puppy breath. It doesn't last nearly long enough.

4. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Note:
    Removed last 3 replies. Reason: Off Topic.

5. Angie

Angie New Member

I haven't cut anything off of my dog and she is just fine.
    I have only had to trim her nails once.
    I don't think I know anyone that had the dogs dew claws removed and I dont know of anyone having problems with them.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Rear dew claws tend to cause the most damage and get snagged more often than not on working dogs it seems... Rear dew claws are not always present... I would let the puppy buyers decide if you are that much on the fence... It's painfull but if you have homes lined up for selected dogs... Pick of the litter etc...and some owners want them removed and some do not...I would remove some and not others...etc...

Sams is taking one of my pups when we have them and if she wants dew claws removed...I'll have them removed on the pups that will likely go to her...if others do not...I won't... HOWEVER if ANY of my pups have rear dew claws...they will be removed...

As a puppy it's much EAsier and much less painfull than when they are older and if you sell one to a buyer that will remove them at a later date...that WILL be much more problematic than at 2 or 3 days old... JMO...seems to be the norm though.... I've seen them done younger and older and would prefer to do my dogs at 3 days or so...rather than an older puppy...TALK ABOUT PAINFULL! Some don't have them removed at all...it's personal choice...but injury isn't uncomon with dew claws... Then again on labs...injuries to tails are not uncommon as well...so...your call.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I think it depends on the dog, my lab who is so mellow and has never run around a lot wouldnt have a problem with dew claws, but because he is a purebred they were removes as a pup

Now Wylie is a different story, she is a maniac and has injured herself several times, a few times pretty bad to the point one is deformed and we seriously considered
    removing them. because her quick it so long its hard to get them trimmed short.

So I lean torward having them removed if its an active type of dog

honeybear

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My sister's newest dog had only one dew claw. She finally decided to go ahead and have it removed when the dog went in for her spay surgery. She was reluctant to do it, but it was already sticking out some and she was afraid it would be worse if it got ripped off. I don't think the dog had any problems with the surgery. She probably didn't even notice it since she was spayed at the same time.

9. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

auspetitian i am unsure as to why you deleted my post. i stated how to take care of dew claws, what they are used for, advised to remove them if enough attention cant be given and stated that decisions like this should not be based on convenience.

10. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

to remove or not to remove

I would definitely have the rear dew claws removed, and do it by the time the puppies are 3 days old, we've had people bring in 1 week old pups for removal and according to every vet Ive worked with (probably at least 30)they feel it much worse and so they will not do it without anaesthesia, I have been told by a number of vets that until 3 days it is no more painful than a human baby boy being circumsized. They often do cause problems later on when they get snagged on something which is more painful, a lot more stressful to the dog and can be quite expensive for the owner.