1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Diamond Dog food good or bad?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by GlenC, Mar 6, 2005.

1. GlenC

GlenC New Member

Anyone ever used Diamond dog food? Pros and Cons?

Thanks

Glen

2. someday

someday New Member

I used to use diamond...I think it's a pretty good food, especially for the price. Unfortunately, Annie developed an allergy to corn and I had to switch to something else.

3. GlenC

GlenC New Member

I bought the puppy formula and noticed once I can switch to adult food they have a lamb and rice formula. With their lamb and rice be corn based?

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I fed Diamond for years. Lamb and Rice was our first choice, then switched to Senior. My little dachshund lived to be 17 years old, and was never ill right up until the instant he dropped dead from a blood clot that caused a stroke while in the middle of playing with me. Boy was that a shock!

All the dogs had excellent coats, lots of energy, and lived long, healthy lives while we fed Diamond. I started feeding Diamond due to dogs with allergies, which cleared up after a few months. I don't feed it now because it's not available where I live now.

If you're worried about corn, just read the ingredient list. I don't think corn is used in the Lamb and Rice food, but I could be wrong. Read the list to be sure.

5. someday

someday New Member

You're right, the lamb and rice doesn't contain corn..I just remembered that I switched to Nutro lamb and rice puppy from the diamond puppy formula because they didn't have a puppy formula that didn't contain corn...when I switched her to adult, I just stuck with the Nutro..and since she does so well on it I just never switched back.

6. GlenC

GlenC New Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help

7. mattbone

mattbone New Member

my brother in law used to feed diamond and was very happy with it but recently switched to tuffline ( toughline?) and is flipping out over the difference it makes. i believe it might not be available everywhere but for the price you cant beat it..26% protien...18% fat...and only 12 bucks a bag. also if thats not available your local feed store should have wheat germ oil for around 15 to 20 bucks a gallon and 1 to 2 teaspoons of that on their food a day goes a looooooong way towards shiny coat and full muscles, not to mention they yum their food right up.

8. Sara

Sara New Member

I fed Euk. then switched to Nutro lamb and Rice because I've got a female that can't do corn and I wanted higher quality... Nutro made a 100% difference in coat and eyes and attitude on all the dogs... THEN I got more dogs and couldn't afford it...switched to Diamond recently... NOTHING has changed in the dogs... Still have great coats, eyes and skin...and attitude/energy... Lamb and Rice in any good quality food shouldn't contain corn... Most of the higher quality foods have Amino acids etc... If you can afford it I'd feel Nutro large breed for the Glucosamine and Condroitin...but you can always suppliment... BOTH brands tend to have higher protein depending on which food (premium, MAX etc...) so if the dogs aren't doing much work might have softer stools... Lamb and Rice doesn't have that effect in EITHER brands... Nutro MAX causes that worse than the other types of both brands...but to me Diamond and Nutro are VERY comparable as far as quality and results... Around here Diamond is half the price of Nutro...so...we go with Diamond.

9. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I use the high energy formula for my dogs, I like it so far. I've tried a few other foods. Only 18% fat, wow that sounds bad to me, or at least for my dogs, good price but with lower amounts thats probably why.

10. mattbone

mattbone New Member

hey true, which brand of high energy and what are its stats?oh and how much a bag are all of your respective foods...large breed eukanuba puppy is getting pretty damn expensive here lately.

11. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I believe True feeds Diamond Professional (High Energy). Unfortunately, my local Petco doesn't carry it. I feed Diamond Premium. It runs about $24 for a 50lb bag around here. It contains 26% protien and 18% fat. The Professional formula contains 30% protien and 20% fat. Personally, I've been very pleased with the Diamond Premium. I used to feed Nutro, but with 7 and 8 dogs, it got too expensive. But to be honest, I'm just as happy with the Diamond as I was with Nutro.

12. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I feed Diamond High Energy, sorry didn't make it clear. I don't use the porfessional formula b/c the protien is too high (30%). The High Energy is like 24% protien and 21% fat I think, I'm about 2 buy feed a couple days, will have to check. The puppy food I also use. The High Energy is like $15 something now, they raised the price and the puppy food is $20+ as well for 50lbs bags.

13. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Ah - I didn't realize they made a High Energy formula. That's why I thought you meant the Professional formula. $15 for a 50lb bag of High Energy??? Or is it a smaller bag? I wish I could find Diamond that cheap.

14. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

It is a 50lbs bags, its like $16 with tax and everything since they raised the price. How much do you pay for Diamond? Some places its only $10-11, so about a $5 then where I buy it. The Premium is about $18 for 50lbs and the place across the street has is it for $16 I think. The puppy food is actually a 40lbs, so its more expensive, I was jumping around in my last post.

15. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

16. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I didn't see a Diamond High Energy on their site, that's why I thought True meant the Pro formula. Around here, the Diamond Premium is $23.99 for the 50lb bag. And I thought that was a deal! LOL! (Well, compared to everything else here, it is!) I currently buy mine at Petco ("where the pets go"...lol), but I'm planning to check out all the feed and supply stores nearby.

17. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Yeah the high energy formula isn't listed on their site. But a lot of feed stores carry it.

18. MyPetTherapyDog

Well, reading this thread made me go to my local dealer just now and buy Lamb Meal & Rice Formula for Dogs. It was a 44 lb bag (4 lbs free) and I paid 27.99 & tax.
    I have been feeding Purina Pro Plan. It seems to be compatible but much cheaper.

I hope my dogs like it! :lol:

19. MyPetTherapyDog

Check your pet food for any of these ingredients

Check your pet food for any of these ingredients

· Chemical Preservatives - BHA, Ethoxyquin
    · By - Products - beaks, feet, feathers, heads
    · Corn, Wheat, or Soy - known allergens
    · Animal or Beef fat - Indigestible fat
    · Artificial Coloring or Flavors
    · Sugars or Corn Syrup
    · Animal Digest - guts
    · Flour - of any kind
    If your pet food contains any of the above items
    you need to switch

20. diamond

diamond New Member

i've always used diamond lamb and rice for my pits in the past. for my AB now i still us diamond lamb and rice. last time i took my dog to the vet he asked what i feed him and i said diamond. he came straight out and said i should think about switching to eukanuba, iams, or science diet... i was just thinking... shoo i like what i feed him, contents seem to be the same and it's way cheaper unless you wanna buy the food for me. all my dogs past and present have been fine with diamond brand.... i'm not about to switch any time soon.