1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Did this really have to happen before vacation?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lucidity03, Apr 29, 2005.

1. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

When reading this, just remember, out of all timing in the world, I'm going out of town on Sunday (for a week).

Two days ago, I noticed weird things on my bed. The 'things' were located where the cats sleep. We examined them and had no idea what they were. Well, after talking to other cat owners, we figured that the cats may have worms.

So, I called the vet in a panic yesterday and they told me to bring stool samples in and the cats can get medicated.

We took the samples in and after an hour of waiting, the nurse came back and said, 'well, it's tapeworms. We can medicated four of the five cats. Chloe hasn't been in for a year, she must have an exam.'

That's just great - the last day of work before vacation is not the best time to take the cat to the vet. So, I think the hubby is going to pull some strings and go in today with Chloe.

Anyhow, we went home with four bottles of pills. We started with Kitters, the little one. She is a fighter. She fought and scratched us up pretty good. Frustrated, we mushed the pill, added some water, and squirted it down her throat with a syringe (obviously without the needle).

-Is that bad? (To crush medicine and do that?)

Anyhow, do that same struggle four times over you have a nightmare. We tried to pill each cat before resorting to making it liquid. I felt awful - Boris fought so hard that I think he bit his tongue (and stupid me kept clamping his mouth shut). Needless to say, we mushed is up and squirted it into him.

Zoe was so distraught that she foamed at the mouth wildly, went under the coffee table and puked it up (we think it was her puke). So, she didn't even really get medicated.

And on top of all that, I'm out of town on Sunday for a week. My cats are so shy that the people checking in on them will never be able to thoroughly check on their well being.

Now I'm worried.

Whew, I could go on more... but this has gotten really long... sorry.

I just had to let it out.

Does anyone know if it's bad to crush pills and make the cats drink it? We tried the pill way, we really tried. But, it was impossible. And, once you see that one of your cats fought so hard that he bled, you aren't willing to struggle like that any more.

I just hope they're all ok.

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

Sounds very frustrating. Vianne had to get pilled almost on a regular basis last year when i got her. I had to treat her for everything from roundworms, tapeworms and coccidia twice, to giardia(we think). The diarrhea was never ending!! The last time she got medicated it was 2 weeks on metronidazole pills, twice a day. So just think, it could be worse! :mrgreen: Luckily, i had some experience working with and restraining cats from working in the animal clinic and Vianne is pretty tolerant tho. How big are the pills? would it be possible to break them up and just hide in a thick piece of tuna? Ususally tape worm treatments don't last that long, ....is there anyway to get your vet to do it, or show you an easier way? Pill gun maybe? For Vianne, i would sit her in my lap right up against the table with chair sideways, so she had less escape options, then i would hold the back of her head with my left hand, supporting her back with my arm, and reach my fingers in the corners of her mouth to get her to open up, then tilt her head back and drop the pill straight down her throat with my right hand, then close her mouth with my hand while still holding her head up somewhat to make sure she swallowed it. Generally, as long as i didnt miss and touch her tongue she was fine. Just swallowed immediately, then got down and begged for her treat. Usually it just tastes nasty and thats why they dont like it. Whenever i would miss, Vianne would spit it out and make the funniest faces. lol Well, good luck anyway in figuring something out for while you're gone.

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm so sorry, Lucidity! Cats always have a way of getting sick when it's least convenient for us.

I don't know how curshing them up affects their potency - it's something you probably need to ask the vet. If the pills are time-released or something, it could be bad. I used to crush up Moe's pills and use a syringe, but I ended up aspirating her. I got fluid in her lungs, which gave her a horrible URI. If I ever need to give her pills again, I will have to buy one of those pill plungers. The vet had to use one on Moe as well to give her worming medication. She is extremely hard to pill, so I know exactly how you feel! If you can't find one at the pet store, ask your vet for one. They make the process so much less traumatizing for both you and the cats.

Do they need medication while you're away? In my area there are several pet sitting organizations that will come over once or twice a day to feed and give medication. I don't think they're too expensive.

Try to have a good cruise - I know how hard it's going to be to leave them...

4. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Copper reacted just like Zoe! He threw up frothy stuff and ran from one end of the house to the other. Needless to say, it didn't work. But the good news is that they can give them a shot for tapeworms. THAT worked just fine!

:kiss_heart: Hugs to you all for all of the drama!

5. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Luckily, it was a one time medication. If the tapeworms come back, we'll deal with it after vacation. They don't sound too dangerous.

I never thought of getting fluid in their lungs! Not it's one more things to worry about! My poor kitties.

We did try to get them well restrained, hold their heads up and pop the pills in. But, it looked more like a circus. It got worse when the cats waiting to be pilled caught on because they saw their sibling being forced one.

I hope I didn't do them any harm. If so, I hope I find out before I go away.

I don't *think* they pills were time-released. (Hubby and I did discuss that possiblitiy). He's going to tell the vet today about everythng that happened last night.

The cats were all back to normal this morning. So, I hope we're ok.

No one will have to pill the cats when we're gone.

I do think we should look into one of those pill guns. I have heard of them, but never thought about it.

6. halaroo

halaroo New Member

It's good that it was just a one time thing! I've always kept the cats separated when giving pills. I think it's hard on both the cat having the pill shoved down her throat and the ones watching.

I didn't aspirate Moe until almost a week into the pill giving. I think at that point she was so upset by the whole thing and panicked when I restrained her, that the fluid just went the wrong way. The vet didn't believe me when I said that Moe was not swallowing her pills. She tried to tell me I was doing it wrong. Then she popped the pill in, massaged Moe's throat, watched her swallow, then let her go. Two seconds later the pill went shooting out across the room. The vet tried again 3 times until she finally gave up and used the plunger.

Needless to say, I hope I never have to give her pills again!

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

what is the medication? Pyrantel, Panacur?
    Those do come in liquid form. I have tons of the stuff to worm my fosters with (I have to if they don't have proof of it being done prior to coming into rescue).
    Liquid is much easiser to deal with.

8. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Mary, I don't remember off hand... I don't have the bottles with me.

I don't know why they don't ALWAYS give liquid. We've had to do the liquid thing before with all the cats. It may be difficult, but it's no where near impossible.

But, my vet didn't give a choice.

If Chloe needs treated today, we're going to have them inject her in the vet's office.

9. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I feel so bad for you and your kitties. What an awful thing to go through.
    Hopefully everything will be okay.

When we had Socks at the Vet and she had to have a pill for worms, the Vet and her assistant had the hardest time getting one in her. They finally did it.
    I don't think I could get a pill into Socks. It would have to be liquid. She has handled liquid pretty well.

I'm one of the people going over to feed her kitties while she is gone. I hope they will all be okay.

10. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

You and me, both! (They were fine last night and this morning.) I will worry my head off, but I'm sure they'll be fine.

11. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Its so much easier to pill a dog, if its Drontal it should be okay to be crushed as long as they havent changed in the last year or so. As coppersmom said though it is available in injectable form, personally id sooner give a cat a shot of something like that than go through the stress and trauma on both sides.
    I thought that an intial dose of Drontal was followed up with a second dose after 3 weeks though.
    The pill guns are good as long as youve got the technique, its not difficult just the way you hold the cat and pill gun can make a difference, your vet or tech could show you.

12. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I've heard dogs are easier.

My cats are too smart. We tried the whole 'hiding it in the food' thing before. They just eat around the pill. And, if I grind up the pill and put it in the food, they obviously can taste it and don't want anything to do with it.

(And the vet said nothing about a follow-up dose... so I don't know what they're on)

13. halaroo

halaroo New Member

You're such a good mom! At least they will be in good and trusting hands! :eek:

14. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

follow up dose is usually exactly 10 days after the first dose...depending on the meds.
    Most vets don't give out the liquid form, unless asked, as it costs more

15. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I wish I knew that. I would have paid!

16. Rene

Rene New Member

oh lucidity03 you poor dear i just recently had that battle my self i was in tahoe and my daughter called all freaked out that whiskers was limping i told her if she is really worried to take him to the vet they can call me and get my card number well whiskers had gotten bit by something his fur was all over the back yard poor baby i came home the next day and fonzi had also been bit so i took him in and they both got pinacellian (sp) fonzi was easy i just put some wet food 1 tsp and hid the pill in there and he ate but whiskers will not eat wet food so i had to open his mouth and shove it in it was terriable he kept spitting it out i finally got it to work and had to do that for 10 days it was so frustratingl.

have a great vacation try not to worry to much and i hope all goes well for you

17. vene

vene New Member

Lucidity, poor you and the kitties. At least it's not a life threatening disease, just a pain or itch in the derriere. Our Pooky used to foam at the mouth too and we were never able to pill him in any form except wrapping his meds in large chunks of his favorite foods. After awhile that didn't work either. The vets were always happy to medicate him for us. Don't worry about your kitties. They'll be in good hands and you'll be back before long to see how your furbabies did while you went away.

18. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I havent heard of a repeat dose given at 10 days, Drontal being a multi de-wormer if given for other parasites and not tapes can be given in a single dose, but with tapes present a follow up dose of either Drontal or just Droncit is given at 3 weeks as it takes 2-3 weeks for re-infection so it would have no effect to give it at 10 days. Theres a lot of different de-wormers though and all have different dosing times.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

19. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm so sorry Lucidity... I hope your kitties will be okay soon!

When Kyrre had a blockage (?) a while ago, I had to give him worm meds (pills) and cleansed kerosine (??) (liquids), and I had a much easier time giving him the pills...I think I read on this forum once that cats automaticly swallow if you blow in their face. That's what I did on Kyrre. But from what I've read about your cats reactions this might be easier said than done. Also, wrapping a towel around the cat can be useful.

20. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

the ones we use with Siamese Rescue are Panacur and Pyrantel. They always tell us fosters the dose needs to be done 10 days apart or it's not effective.