1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between maltese and maltese cross shihtzu?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by gallen, Nov 13, 2004.

1. gallen

gallen New Member

HI everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted some advice.

I plan to get a new Maltese puppy soon and have done a lot or research in the Maltese breed. I chose the maltese breed based on its friendly and loving personality, good temperament and the fact it does not shed much.

However, a lot of breeders in my area are selling Maltese cross Shih tzu puppies. I was wondering if these "cross/mixed" puppies will be a lot different to a purebred maltese dog? Would these Maltese cross Shih tzu puppies shed a lot? And would they have different personalities/temperaments compared to a purebred maltese puppy?

I read somewhere on the net that Maltese cross Shih tzu puppies are a good choice as they get the best quailities of both breed but I am not too sure about that. My friend has an 8 year old purebred maltese dog and he recommends getting a purebred one.

Thanks for reading! Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Gallen

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Both the Shih Tzu and the Maltese shed very little.

I think any dog owner have atleast a little bias when it comes to choosing a breed. Everyone thinks that there breed is the best. I think your friend is recommending a purebred because he has one. Does he know about the tempermant of the shih tzu?

Just because your friend has a purebred it doesn't mean that you're puppy will have the same temperment as his, infact it could be quite opposite.

My Yorkie, Rocky, and his brother are COMPLETE opposites. His brother is shy and quiet while Rocky is flamboyant and very active, but they're both purebred yorkies.

About the temperment of Shih Tzu's, most that I have known are very sweet and affectionate dogs.

Good luck with getting your new pup.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

A mixed breed could have the temperament of either type of dog, or a mixture of both. There is no way to predict what you will get. However, maltese and shih tzu's are both nice little dogs, so I would imagine any cross you get would also be a nice dog.

Others will tell you that anyone who will purposely cross two different breeds is not a responsibile breeder. I am not going to weigh in on that issue. Just be very sure that you are buying from someone who treats their dogs well, including never breeding a female dog that is too young, never breeding any female more than 2-3 times for her entire lifetime, and has all the appropriate health tests done for that breed. The puppies and mother should be inside and have contact with humans, not outside in a cage. The home should be clean. And the breeder should give you some sort of health guarantee and also put in the contract that they will take the dog back at any point in its life if you can't keep it for some reason. Any breeder who won't take a dog back - even 10 years down the road - is not a good breeder. Good breeders are also involved in rescue so that they are giving back to the community since they choose to bring more dogs into an already overpopulated world.

Check out the sticky link on this site about finding a good breeder - there are more recommendations in there about what to look for and how to find one.

And also realize that purebred or not, every puppy is different. While you can generalize about a breed, not all dogs in that breed are alike. Choose a puppy based on how that puppy behaves and what you want in a dog. Good breeders will temperament test their pups and should be able to tell you about their personalities. That way if you want a calm dog, you will get a calm dog and so forth.

4. seaecho

seaecho New Member

I have to agree with the others - every dog is an individual, and temperaments can vary GREATLY, even within a breed. I've had the same experience as one other poster - I've had dogs of the same breed who were completely different in disposition and temperament.

I had a Shih Tzu for 13 years, and I can't imagine a more ideal dog. She was cheerful, loved everyone she met, was not afraid of anything (including vets, thunder storms and big dogs) and had the most stable temperament I've even seen in a dog. She was courageous and opptomistic, clear until the end of her life when she finally succumbed to a heart murmur. I learned a lot about life from her. And she only weighed 5 lbs!

Back to the subject - Shih Tzus (at least in my experience) shed very little, if at all. They, like Maltese, require very frequent grooming. I'm sure you are already aware of this. I spent easily five hours weekly just combing mine out. That isn't including the bathing and trimming too. They need to be bathed often because they get smelly very quickly. I had to bathe mine at least once every 7-10 days.

I have not personally owned a Maltese, but I know that most Shih Tzus I've known have been very similar in temperament. I would highly recommend one as a pet for someone who has a lot of time on their hands, or money, for grooming.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I have a friend with 2 Maltese...she says never again. But they are extremely spoiled dogs. Not made to mind and never had any type of training...so I don't blame the dogs. But they are high-maintenance with the required grooming.
    and they enjoy barking. High-pitched ear-piercing barks.

6. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

My opinion...

I do not support the idea of breeding two different breeds together... This is unethical and irresponisble. I am not here to offend anyone, but No reputable breeders will ever bred two different breeds together... This will never happen, I swear.... And breeders who breed this "designer mutts" are using their poodle or cockers coming from puppymill or backyard breeders that don't do health testing such as OFA, CERF, etc..

All reputable breeders are member of club and they have code of ethics where it states that breeding to a different breed than their own is violating the code of ethics such as Doberman club of America, German shepherd club of America, etc..

I am not against mixed breed, but there are million of homeless dogs at humane society or pound that are waiting for good home.. Right now, we do not need to create a new breed to add to the problem....

Amen.

Why don't you do a little research on your own and visit those websites.
    http://www.lakotasong.com/mixes/responses.htm
    http://www.lakotasong.com/mixes/index.htm

Code of Ethics of all breed clubs.
    http://www.dog-play.com/coe.html

7. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

"6. Breeding programs should exist for the betterment of the breed. Each member will plan their breeding program to maintain and intensify the virtues of type , quality, temperament, and eliminate faults. All breeding shall be done selectively towards this goal and not purely for financial gain. Breeders may not intentionally allow a poodle to be bred to any other breed of dog."

This is from Poodle Club of America

8. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

The maltese is a terrier, and has strong terrier characteristic's.

I have a shih tzu, and I am partial to the breed when picking a lap dog.
    My mom has a maltese.
    They are the same size, require the same amount of grooming. But when it comes to personality there are night and day.
    The maltese barks alot, is more aggressive. Basically acts like a large dog in a 10lb body!
    The shih tzu, does not bark hardly at all. I am lucky if she barks once in an entire day. She is not agressive, she is actually submissive to most dogs. She is a great cuddler and kisser.

It really depends what you are looking for in your companion.

Try looking up breed standards, and that should help with your choice.

9. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

No no no... Maltese is not in terrier group! Maltese is in Toy companion Group.. Maltese is not supposed to be aggressive and it was bred to be a companion dog.Your mom has a maltese who has a problem with dominiant and this is dangerous. You need to get your mom started with this http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
    Do what it says and do not wait til an accident waiting to happen...

Your mom must control where her maltese sleep, eat, and play. The dominant dog must never be allowed to sleep in the bedroom! The maltese has to sleep in a dog crate.
    Quit playing tug of war if your mom is playing that game! This game builds up confidence and this creates dominance problems.

Note:
    ALL DOGS ARE PACK ANIMALS AND THEY UNDERSTAND RANK. When a dog doesn't respect your rank in the pack, this is dangerous......
    http://www.leerburg.com/dominac2.htm

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Lindsay... I'm sure you are more than capable of training a dog in Schutzhund when you get the time...LOL... GREAT comments... This just makes me think about my poor oppressed and shunned Pits... Imagine the trouble if the Maltese in this scenario was your breed or was an APBT with these issues... IMAGINE.... *shaking head* Ya gotta love those fluffy dogs...

If the Maltese or Schitzu were terrier they'd be in the terrier group....I do beleive even the yorkies and silkies are in the terrier group...I could be wrong though...it's been known to happen...LOL

What were the Maltese and Sch. bred for in the first place? Weren's Sch. the dogs of folks in the monestary and would judge a person's spiritual character and if he/she was bad they would come out of the sleeve of the owner and bite them or something??? Perhaps that was teh Maltese...either way...good thing the aggressive pooch is only 10lbs and fluffy.