1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between maltese and maltese cross shihtzu?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by gallen, Nov 13, 2004.

1. gallen

gallen New Member

HI everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted some advice.

I plan to get a new Maltese puppy soon and have done a lot or research in the Maltese breed. I chose the maltese breed based on its friendly and loving personality, good temperament and the fact it does not shed much.

However, a lot of breeders in my area are selling Maltese cross Shih tzu puppies. I was wondering if these "cross/mixed" puppies will be a lot different to a purebred maltese dog? Would these Maltese cross Shih tzu puppies shed a lot? And would they have different personalities/temperaments compared to a purebred maltese puppy?

I read somewhere on the net that Maltese cross Shih tzu puppies are a good choice as they get the best quailities of both breed but I am not too sure about that. My friend has an 8 year old purebred maltese dog and he recommends getting a purebred one.

Thanks for reading! Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Gallen

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hmm I have never heard that of that cross. Is there a specific reason for mixing them? Like with the poodle mixes they were for trying to create a hypoalergenic dog that sheds little but still has the traits of other dogs. Ie the shipoo, cockerpoo, goldenpoo ect.

3. gallen

gallen New Member

Thanks for your reply

QUOTE "Hmm I have never heard that of that cross. Is there a specific reason for mixing them?" END QUOTE

I'm not sure about that, but they do seem to be pretty popular...is it easy to tell if a puppy is a mixed breed or can you only see it when they grow older?

There aren't many matipoos here in Australia, are they popular in the US? What specific features do the maltipoos have? I guess more so from the poodle side, do the maltipoos grow larger than a maltese?? Do they look different?

I don't know much about poodles...hence the questions!

4. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

5. RoAnne

RoAnne New Member

I don't know much about purebred maltese, but I have a friend who has a Maltese-Shih-tzu cross dog and he is very smart and cute! He doesn't shed very much, but she doesn't allow his hair to get very long, that might make a difference, not sure. Hope this helps!

RoAnne

6. catlady

catlady New Member

mixed puppies or purebreed

:D I am new to this also. I have a cross between a dashound and shsh tzu. It is very very smart. It doesn't shed much at all, if any. She is friendly, but very hyper. She also wants all the attention.
    My sister breeds dogs, and she gave me this one. She has crossed with poodles and pekes. My pup was an accident, but an adorable one. They are all smart dogs. These little fellows are extremely protective of their owners, and they don't know that they are little. :wink:
    The only thing is, their fur mats easily. They require frequent brushing. This is why most people have them clipped. :p