1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

different types of oscars...?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by willieb18, May 7, 2004.

1. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i just came from walmart and i seen some oscars that were black and white. has anyone ever seen or kept this kind. walmart is the only place i have ever seen them. thanks

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

They're probably just baby tiger oscars that haven't turned orange yet. The juvenile coloration of oscars is generally very different from the adult coloration.

These are the most commmon varieties of oscars:

Tiger

Red

Lutino - generally comes in 4 forms. One is commonly referred to as an albino (true albinos have NO dark orange and VERY rare) and is available in the red or tiger colorations:
    "Albino"/Lutino tiger
    "Albino"/Lutino red
    The other looks like the previous examples but has black on the fins. It also comes in red & tiger colorations:
    Lutino tiger
    Lutino red

Common/Wildtype (basically looks like a tiger oscar, but has very little orange)

Veiltailed/long finned(comes in all color variations)

And a fairly rare Sunshine oscar which is like a albino/lutino red oscar, but has yellow instead of orange. Also a Golden oscar which is like a regular red oscar, but again, has yellow instead of red.

And of course the Blueberry oscar. These are fish that are put through the horrible process of dying. It weakens the fish which makes it much more susceptibe to illnesses and shortens it's lifespan. Plus the color eventually fades so you're left with an expensive, sickly, lutino. Please, do not buy dyed fish.

More info on dyed fish can be found here: http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

-Chelle

3. fishdude

fishdude New Member

i HATE the way they dye fish. plus, those oscars don't look very nice. i'v checked out death by dyeing and i think it is a great site. i have never seen an oscar here though. :D

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

One LFS used to keep them in stock most of the time and another one had them once. But the last few times I've been to those stores neither had any dyed fish nor tanks labeled for dyed fish so that's a good sign.

Not only do they look unattractive, I've never seen a healthy looking one. They always looked thin & lethargic compared to the normal oscars they were with.

-Chelle

5. fishdude

fishdude New Member

i saw my first lutino yesterday. a white one. i had been looking at it for weeks ang didn't reconise it.

6. beautfulmine

beautfulmine New Member