1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

dimensions for tank? sugestions?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by big-pig-666, Jan 25, 2005.

1. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

any one have any suggestions for a 400 gallon tank???

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are you going to be making it out of?

-Chelle

3. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

my dad knows a guy who sells glass fairly cheap but im afraid that wont hold so i might switch to acrillic

4. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

any other ideas?

5. tski22

tski22 New Member

I would go with acrillic. It would probably hold better like you said for that much water capacity. Water weighs roughly 7 lbs per gallon so 7 X 400 plus gravel and decor giving you a GRAND total of about 3000 pounds. I hope that tank is on a concrete base. Where will the tank be located out of curiosity? Got any idea of whats going in it after all the suggestions? -tl

6. sleeper

sleeper New Member

There are a ton of great sites floating around about site construction.

This is definitely the coolest I've seen; it allows you to set all the dimensions and materials.
    http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

I'm gonna do a 120 gal this summer from scratch, Y'all will be seeing that WAY tooo frequently I'm sure...

7. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

dont you think glass looks nicer?

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

You could do it with glass btu it would have to be real thick. 400g..I think a 8 or 10 footer would be cool

9. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Be careful using the information from the garf.org link listed above. Just for fun I entered dimensions for a tank approximately 1,400 gallons and it suggested using 1/2 inch glass. On a tank that size 1/2 inch glass is not nearly thick enough.

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I would think 1" to 1 1/4 for a 500g tank!