1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Discus vs. Tropheus

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tina1, Jul 25, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

Hey all,

I'm still on the fence about what I should keep in my new 75 gallon tank. I'm either going to do discus or a Tanganyikan community tank containing mostly Tropheus. So I'm just looking for opinions, which idea do you like best:

5x discus
    3x Balloon rams
    2x Apistogramma (probably cockatoo)
    15x Cardinal tetras
    7x Emperor tetras

or
    10x Cyripchromis leptosoma Utinta
    6x Tropheus duboisi Maswa
    5x Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (shell dweller)
    2x Julidochromis Gombi
    3x Chalinochromis brichardi
    1x Altolamprologus Calvus Gold

According to all of my research all of these fish can be kept in harmony together and I can provide the correct water conditions for each setup. So it basically comes down to this.... which is prettier, the Tropheus or the Discus.

Please give me your input.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't know about Tropheus, but I do know that discus are nutoriously difficult to keep. They're one of the few fish that really do need a specific pH and KH, but you have to be extremely careful adjusting it. They're also really sensitive to water quality. Even trace amounts of ammonia & nitrIte can cause problems.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

both are awsome but i thing i would go with the Tropheus now i want to start a tank with some Tropheus in it :shock: :oops: :shock:

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

I just can't decide!!!

I think I'm going going for the discus now. I really think I will be able to care for them and honestly, you never know until you try. I want some sort of a challenge in whichever fish I choose for the new tank. I want something a little more unusual than a regular african cichlid too.

So now my plan for the week is this: After cycle is complete, put in my four existing lemon tetras plus 3 more for a total of 7. Then if all goes well, add 7 emperors. Next is the pygmy cories, hopefully about 8 of them. Next will be 15 or 20 cardinals. Then my rams go in. Then the apistos. Lastly I'll add 5 discus.

That will also free up my ten gallon tank so that I can keep a small colony of N. Multifasciatus. I think this will work well as they were the main reason I wanted a Tang tank anyway.

Of course this all depends on how hard the water is where I move too.

What do ya think now?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Your combination of fish sounds okay, but I'm not so sure on stocking numbers.

With discus & angels you want to allot at least 10gallons/fish (and with discus, understocking is best). Since you already have the 2 angels, I would only add 3 or 4 discus.

-Chelle

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

Well, everything I've read and been told about discus is that they really shouldn't be kept in groups of less than six. Apparently they get very shy and are more apt to become stressed and sick. So I'm going to stick with five for now and I don't have any angels so I don't really think my stocking is going to be a problem there. I'm thinking of removing the apistos though as I'm worried that might be a few too many bottom dwelling cichlids in the tank. I'm not sure on numbers for the other fish yet really. I'm still just bouncing ideas around.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Oops. I don't know why I thought you had angels. #-o You should be fine with 5 discus, then.

-Chelle

8. caj1968

caj1968 New Member

I'm been a fan of Amazonian fish and have heard that Discus are harder to keep... But not impossible. You are lucky to have such a difficult decision to make. :wink:
    caj1968

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

Lol, yeah I guess there are worse things I could be contemplating... every minute of every day that passes by :shock:

10. raghu_gg

raghu_gg New Member

Hi Tina,
    I have experienced problems trying to keep Discus. But if you go for it i would recommend not to go with any thing other than Discus. Cause a bit of stress with discus any you are done with them.
    I would not recommend Angles as they are territorial. and can stress Discus.

Also Tetra's are also not a good combinations with them as fast moving fishes will stress discus.

11. tina1

tina1 New Member

Great more stuff to ponder. Thanks a lot!

No really, all info is appreciated. I have just seen so many pictures of gorgeous discus community tanks with tetras in them so I assume they were good tank mates.

12. caj1968

caj1968 New Member

Discus are very beautiful fish and so docile looking. They just have such a calming effect.
    caj1968