1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dividing tank for my ropefish!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I think my ropefish recently hasn't been getting enough food. I mainly think it is because that the other fish are getting the bloodworms before he decides to come out of his cave to eat. I was thinking of putting a plexiglass dividor in the tank so that he will have his own space in the tank. I just don't want him to jump over the other side and hurt himself or jump to the other side and just be deprived of food there. I dunno wut ta do.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you use plexiglass, you'll either have to run 2 filters (one for each side of the tank) or drill holes in the plexiglass so water can flow through. You could also just buy a regular divider. I don't think they're as nice looking as a plexiglass divider would be, but it will work and it would already have all the holes in it.

-Chelle

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I already have two filters in the tank on both sides, i'm just worried about the health and safety of the ropefish!

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd go ahead and put a divider in then. Don't want him starving to death.

-Chelle

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Iight thanks!

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I divided my tank but now my ropefish just jumps over to the other side. So when it comes to feeding he now gets the food but now he doesn't want to eat it he just might nudge it orhe might just bite it and then spit it all back out. Now i don't know wut to do. The ppl at my lfs don't even know wut a ropefish is.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are you feeding him? And how is he able to jump over the divider? Does the tank have a lid?

-Chelle

8. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi have a ropefish living with in my a tank and more often than not he seems to pay very little attention to bloodworm when I feed him. I know he is hungry as I feed him sparingly, yet he never seems interested enough to eat and just lets the other fish have their fill.

However, later when the bloodworm has settled in corners or behind plants and rocks, this is when I see him eating. I know very little about ropefish (other than they do like bloodworm!), but perhaps this is how they would find their food in the wild? searching the bottom rather than having their food fall on their head? :?

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yeah, my ropefish used to eat bloodworms but now he doesn't for some odd reason.

Also, yes I have a tank lid and the divider reaches about 2-3 inches out of the water's surface and that leaves like s a bid of space between the lid and the divider and he jumps through this small space.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Maybe try switching to another type of food like shrimp.

-Chelle

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Wut kind of shrimp?

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

For my oscar, I get frozen salad shrimp from the fish (food fish, not pet fish) dept at Walmart.

-Chelle

13. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I think that would be too big for my ropefish. I thought you were talking about smaller fish shrimp like ghost shrimp. Then I guess it ws a good thing that I asked. Lol!

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You can cut it into smaller pieces.

-Chelle

15. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Alright, i'll try that and ghost shrimp.

16. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

17. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I also knew that he was nocturnal, that is why I always feed him when the lights are off.

Thank you for the link though.