1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

diy 3d background ...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Dec 10, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

ok ive done alot of research on 3d backgrounds and most need to cure underwater for a couple days before you add fish. my question is i already have an established aquarium nd i would like to add a diy 3d background. What would be the best solution for this. I think i am going to do the styrofoam, sand and resin type. so how could i cure it without killing my fish.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Hmmm . . .

Well, as far as I know, the ones that need to cure in water are the concrete ones (otherwise it will raise the pH & hardness). I really don't think the resin ones need to be in water to cure (don't think they will cure in water). Of course I've never actually made a resin background so I could be wrong.

For a concrete one, as long as it doesn't end up being super heavy and you don't intend to silicone it to the tank itself, you could probably put it in a big tub of water to cure then add it to the tank afterwards.

-Chelle

3. tyler_medeiros

is there any type of paint i could use to paint the background and make it look like rock that could be put under neath the resin. Im getting the information for this website: http://www.max-discus-dream.de/mddnew/3D-back.htm
    In this web site he sprinkels sand over the resin and lets it harden to give it tecture but i want more of a grey rock backdrop.
    Any suggestions on what i could use.

4. tyler_medeiros

I found this 3d background
    [​IMG]
    in a guys tank but it is store bought and can only be bought in the uk. It is so hard to find 3d backgrounds in Canada. Ive only ever seen 1 and it was more than 100 dollars for a 30 gallon tank.
    I really like it and am aiming for mone to look similar.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

As long as it's coated in resin, I don't see why you can't use acrylic paint.

-Chelle