1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do dogs in heat lose their appetites?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Apr 12, 2004.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Just wondering. I think I read this somewhere or something; not 100% sure though.

Samantha is in heat and now she is fasting. I don't think anything is wrong with her; I think she is just being finicky. She runs to the food like she is going to eat it, then she sniffs it and leaves. She is drinking properly and is acting normally, chewing on bones and stuff. Tonight she ate a few bites but then left. She has done this before but not for this long (it has been a few days). She started when Indiana got back from his neutering which I don't think she liked. She is easily stressed out and with her being in heat.... Also, the weather has changed here and it is really hot.

I don't know. I hate to rush her to the vet b/c I just spent $250 getting the puppy neutered. And 99% of the time I take Samantha to the vet, NOTHING is wrong with her. She's just being snoody.

2. winnie

winnie New Member

Winnie is fixed but she also lost her appetitie for 3 days once, she maybe at little of one of her meals but thats it and then started eating agian...i think if she is acting normal and drinking normal she should be ok as long as she starts eating soon, but i am not a vet so just be careful

3. nern

nern New Member

Yes, I think some dogs may lose their appetite during their heat cycle and also during periods of hot weather. Natalie tends to eat less during the really hot months.

4. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Our female gets extremely picky when in heat. She will go pick up a peice of food, take it to the living room, then go get another...and so on until she has made a pile. Then she will take a nap, then eat the food one piece at a time....its really funny! Her previous owners only fed her table scraps, so its always a hassle to convince her to eat dog food, but when she is in heat...she gets even worse! :?

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Yeah, Samantha finally came off her hunger strike yesterday. Ate double her usual breakfast and then her regular dinner.

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Glad she starting eating again. Sounds like my kids when they are mad they wont eat. My hubby gets upset but I have always told him they wont starve themselves!