1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do our feathered freinds feel the cold?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Fagan, May 24, 2006.

1. Fagan

Fagan New Member

I live in South Africa, and at the moment the weather is horrible ranging from -4 to 14C, could you tell me whether birds (ringneck parakeet) would feel the cold even though he is inside, my firends tell me i'm paranoid and that the feathers will keep him warm. My home is chilly, and i have noticed that he shivers, is he cold or does he have another kind of problem. If he is getting cold is there a way on how i could keep him warm without running a heater full time. I am worried that the shivering is his way of telling me he is cold, although he does not seem to do this all the time.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi your not being paranoid, they do feel the cold just they can usually tolerate it rather well..

If his cage is situated where there is a draught this will be harmful to him.
    If its cold in your home to the point that you can just say tolerate it then what i would advise is place an old sheet or blanket over his cage on a night but leaving a gap near the bottom to allow air to circulate, during the day you can still have the cage covered but leaving the front uncovered so that he can get some light this will help keep most of the chill out..

Make sure his cage is nowhere near a draught and he should be fine...

Home this has helped

Mike

3. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

To answer your question , ye they do . If you ever see your bird all puffy and big then they are cold ,or feel a draft .Hope that helped! :mrgreen: :y_the_best: :wink: :p :lol: :eek: :) :D

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Just because a bird is sat fluffed up does not mean they are cold this could be an indication they are really ill this is the first tell tale sign that all is not well health wise.

When my birds get cold they do not sit fluffed up they just sit there with there heads tucked under there wings and will shiver a little.

Mike