1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do snails need partners

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sleeper, Dec 28, 2004.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Strangest thing... I went away three days for Christmas, and my apple snail suddenly had a little friend: a baby snail. Can snails reproduce asexually?? Or was my snail "pregnant" (or whatever) when I bought it, which was only about 2 1/2 weeks ago... I'm assuming that, no matter what, I'm going to have to get rid of this guy. Any suggestions about humane/nonlethal ways to get this baby snail (interesting as he is) out of my tank? Also, is this going to keep happening?

2. dude412

dude412 New Member

get that thing out of ur tank some snails are hermaphadites they can reproduce on there own i know for sure the black snail can so i dunno but jus take they snail and give him to someone

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup, definitely get it out. Apple snails need a partner. Pond snails & ramshorn snails (which commonly hitchhike into tanks on plants) don't need partners and will reproduce like crazy. I believe applesnails can store sperm, but you would have seen a big, pink egg cluster above the wter line for a few weeks prior to seeing the new snail.

I'm currently having a big problem with snails in my planted tank. I can't use chemicals to kill them, I can't nuke the tank, and I can't fit a snail eating fish in there so my only option is to remove them manually. So every once in a while I either pick out all the big ones I can find and feed them to my oscar, or I just crush them and let the fish in the tank eat them.

-Chelle