1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think fish feel pain?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Dec 14, 2004.

?

Do you think fish feel pain?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i thought id see how many people feel there fish can feel things, and who thinks they cant, i think they can, but im not sure.

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I think they can.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think they can. I had a goldfish with a really bad case of dropsy so I tried an experimental procedure where I used a needle/syringe to remove some of the fluid in his abdominal cavity. He definitely didn't seem too happy about being stuck with the needle. And in case you're curious, he made a complete recovery and is still doing fantastic several months later.

-Chelle

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Of course they can feel pain. They have a nervous system. That is why they scratch themselves against the gravel and rocks when they have Ich. Not every part of the fish has nerve endings though. The thin areas of the fins for example I would expect to be about like hair on a human. If it is cut there is no pain because there aren't any nerve endings there. On the other hand if it were ripped out there would be pain due to the nerve endings at the base of the fin. The same would be true of scales. The scales themselves would not feel pain, but the base of the scale where it attaches would be a sensitive area due to the nerve endings.

5. tski22

tski22 New Member

IMO all living creatures including fish feel pain.

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Thats Cool t_chelle congrats ive never heard of someone doing that

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i thought they did, as my fantail oranda choked on a peble and he was so down as it was logged in his throat, we had to net him out, lay him in our hands and put a needle down his throat to getit out, he is well again, althoguh he did eat another pebble, he got it out and now we use sand.
    i ony ask becasue in my shop its culling is banging its head so the nervous system is severed, but they then persist in telling me they dont feel pain! they lie!

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

yah i think smashing it into a wall in a bag is a big harsh

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i belive they do

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

wow bryan you havent posted in a long time

11. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

I would say they do.