1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Does a parakeets cere color change

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Trel023, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Trel023

Trel023 New Member

I would like to know if a parakeets cere color changes :D after a while.I have just got my parakeets two days ago.They are about 13 weeks and there cere color is blue.

2. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

around the age of 3 to 4 monthsof age baby budgies go therough there first molt where they loose there baby feathers & grow in there adlut ones at this point there cree will also go from it's pinkisg/purple color to an adult color of either brown or tan for girls & blue for boys
    kathy

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi 6months old is usually when birds go through there first molt some birds go through this earlier depending on time of year the chicks hatched.

Depending on the colours of the birds males cere will either be, Blue,Purple.

Females will have a white,pink,tan cere which will go dark brown when she is in breeding condition.

Males show signs of being interested in females at an early age of 3months old and start showing off by doing little dance's doing acrobatic acts in the cage and bobbing up and down all to get the females attention.

At 13weeks young birds resemble a female until after the first molt and this is when they get there adult feathers and the true colour of the cere.

mike

4. Trel023

Trel023 New Member

What i mean is that is it possible for one of my parakeets to be a female.Both of their ceres are blue.During their first molt will their be a chance of one of them being a female

5. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

If both of the ceres arre blue than there boys unless it has a white ring around the outside of the nose than It might be a girl can you e mail me pioctures of your bird???
    kathy

6. Trel023

Trel023 New Member

it is white around one of my parakeets cere so does that mean that it might be a girl.My parakeets are about 13 weeks old.

7. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

maby can you send a picture??

8. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

[​IMG]

see how this bird's cere is half blue on the bottom & white on the top this Is a girl budgie
    kathy