1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

does a tank stand have to be exact?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by fishy_chick, May 5, 2004.

1. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I have a really weird shaped tank. Instead of being 18 inches wide as most are, it's only 16 inches. The only stands I can find are 18 inches wide, but fit the length of my tank. Can I put my smaller tank onto this bigger stands? Will the extra 2 inches at the back effect the stand or tank at all? Thanks!

2. Alen

Alen New Member

I don't see why you wold have any problem by having extra space, but if it was less than there would be. My 45gal is 18" wide and the stand I have it on is 22" and I havent had any problems. It's kind of nice having the extra room for HOB filters and to maybe put stuff behind the tank like the food or net.

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

My stand's a little big also. I love the extra room. You can place the food to the side or meds if you're using them, right next to the tank. Makes it very convenient!

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi fishy_chick, as long as the top of the stand is wide enough to support all 4 walls of the aquarium you will be OK. If the stand is wider just make sure that the tank is positioned so that all 4 walls are supported. If one wall is not supported then the tank will get a pressure crack on the bottom.

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

wow kc5gvn! I thought you'd fallen off a cliff or something! We've missed you....

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

YEAAAAAA the tank does because the pressure form the unused space will cause pressure on the glass and it will eventually crack. personal experience

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would be leary about using a stand that's too wide; especially for such a large tank. Most stands are made to support the weight along the very edge of the stand, not 1" in from the edge. There's all kinds of plans for DIY tank stands so if you have any wood working tools (or know someone who does) you can try building your own.

-Chelle

8. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

Thanks for all of your help! Maybe I'll get my dad to build a stand for me, I REALLY dont want to risk losing my tank to a stupid mistake, that's a lot of money and fish and such down the drain. Thanks again!

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

maybe what you can do is take two pieces of wood and cut them to exact size, you dont need support in the middle you only need on te edges. so

|......................|
    |......................|
    |......................|
    |......................| <-the fishtank
    |___________|
    [___________] <the wood

|......................|
    |......................|
    |......................|
    |......................| <-side of the fishtank
    |___________|
    [____] [_____] <-see how the rishtanl has exact support on the cooners but dosnt need in the middle.