1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

does any one wash their cats?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by momma, Apr 23, 2004.

1. momma

momma New Member

I'm wondering if i should start bathing ben? he is a long haired cat ( which i've never had before) and i'm wondering if i should start giving him a bath. I had a bengal that loved water and i would take him to the beach to swim and he loved it!

It might sound weird but are long haired cats able to keep as clean as short haired??

Thanks...... P.s. i noticed at pet stores that they sell cat shampoo to make them smell good.

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I've heard that bathing a cat can dry out their skin. Don't know for certain though... I would personally never try - she tear me to shreds!

3. moose

moose New Member

cats are naturally *very* clean animals, so you shouldn't have to help them along with that. i would especially be very careful with a long-haired cat, as their fur tends to mat very easily -- especially when wet.

if you just really want to give your cat a bath, i'd suggest just getting some of those pet wipes at your local pet store. they don't use soap or water -- you just wipe them on your cat and then you're done!

4. nern

nern New Member

My long-haired boy seems to keep himself just as clean as my other cats. I have only given him a bath once and that was when I first got him....he was very dirty and smelly. I also gave Rhiannon a bath the first day I brought her home because she was infested with fleas. Other than that I never bathe any of mine.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I've bathed cats 2x in my entire life of having cats....once Missy was sneezing quite frequently and someone suggested to me it might be allergens on her coat giving her sneezing fits so I rinsed her off sneezing stopped.

Next time was Zeus - when I first adopted him from the shelter he had some major "dire-rear" issues - I'm talking splats here. He'd even splat on the wall it was so bad. His poor little butt would bleed. After several testing of stools samples it was determined it was diet (we tried everything for kitten food and the one that ended up being THE ONE was Friskies canned kitten food - who knew...I tried the better ones on the market and they came out quicker than they went in and not nearly as solid either) so after one trip to the vet he poohed all over himself in his carrier (lucky for me my son was holding the carrier and we weren't far from home) Zeus got a bath.

Bury your nose in your cat's fur...smells clean doesn't it? I don't think cats need baths unless they have to have one for some kinda crud. They do a really good job.

Something you might want to try is a Zoom Groom...it's a rubber brush type of thing and not only brushes the cat's fur but also stimulates their skin. My cats love the Zoom Groom....this is a Zoom Groom pet stores might have them too http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... &N=0&Nty=1

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Momma. I don't wash Handsome. I did take him to the vets one time about a year and a half ago, because he got paint on his fur (I had some rooms painted in my house). Anyway, that was the only time. When I picked him up at the vets he had this HUGE blue bow around his neck and he looked so grumpy! You just to be there. It was pretty funny. I think he does a great job of cleaning himself. Besides, I don't think it's natural for them to be bathed (just my opinion).

7. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

LOL a blue bow!! :lol: when my aunty tqakes her poodle to the dog groomer she puts blue bows in his ears. momma i wouldnt bother washing him unless he gets really dirty or is being shown. just make sure he gets used to being combed though! otherwise he will get knots like my kitten [hes nuts]

8. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Those pet wipey things work great! Normally he smells fine but he must've rubbed up against the trash can or something recently because he was rank! Normally I don't bathe my cats unless they really stink or have fleas. I do know that there is at least one breed that absolutely loves water though....is that the Bengal?

At the moment the closest thing my cat gets to getting a bath is sitting on the toilet and watching me take mine....he's like in awe or something...I think he thinks I'm a god or something to be able to stay in there for so long! :lol:

9. momma

momma New Member

thanks every one for their info!! I wasnt sure.... Hahaha i'm having lol reading the replys.

No ben doesnt stink actually he is very clean, he does like to nead the blanket and suck on it maybe that's because he was only 6 weeks when we got him?he is a very good kitten and does well with my 2 and a half year old.

But ya my bengal that i had now about 6 years ago ( who was stolen) i got him used to a bucket of water with toys in it and he loved it hopping in and out of the bucket trying to get the toys and when he was older about 6 months we would take him down to the lake and i'd bring him in the water and he would swim just like a litter otter! it was sooo cute i would get some rude comments but i think they just couldnt understand the concept of some cats liking water, hopefully thoese who have a bengal get to experence that too.