1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

does anyone have pet first aid kits? whats in it

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, May 12, 2004.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

This got me thinking as I was waiting for WYlie at the vet yesterday and was reading an article in Dog fancy, on what your pet first aid kit should have. I thought, good idea, Ill get on it and I dont even have a people one. then what happedn last night with Wylie and the coyotes, I didn even have rubber gloves to clean the wounds.

So I am off this week-end to put on together.Here is what Ive tought of so far

Gloves
    guaze bandages
    tape
    scissors
    benedryl for snake bites
    neopsporin
    benedyne cleaning solution
    cotton balls

what else??

honeybear

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

The Red Cross Pet First Aid book has a list....I've posted it on other sites...I'll go find it and post what they suggest

according to the Red Cross Pet First Aid booklet

-latex gloves
    -variety of sizes of gauze sponges
    -2" width roll gauze (can be a makeshift muzzle for a panicked dog)
    -Roll bandages (the instructor suggested the colored bandages that sticks to itself that people use to wrap up horses' legs...can buy it at most farm supply stores or possibly Fosters/Smith)
    -Material for splinting (the instructor did not recommend anyone attempt to splint a broken limb unless they are 100% sure of what they are doing...most animals will protect a broken limb by holding it against their bodies which will suffice until vet care can be gotten)
    -adhesive tape - hypoallergenic
    -non-adherrant sterile pads
    -small scissors
    -grooming clippers or a safety razor
    -nylon leash (for dogs...can be used as a choke collar in an emergency - more control over a panicked dog)
    -Towel
    -Muzzle (or use the roll of gauze if you know how to make a muzzle out of some)
    -Compact thermal blanket
    -pediatric rectal thermeter (he also recommends no one do a temp. check again unless they are very confident with what they are doing)
    -water-based sterile lubricant
    3% hydrogen peroxide
    -rubbing alcohol
    -OTC topical antibiotic ointment
    -Epsom salts
    -baby dose syringe or eye dropper (non-glass)
    -sterile eye lubricant
    -sterile saline eye wash
    -diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl)
    -glucose paste or corn syrup
    -styptic powder or pencil (cornstarch will also work to stop bleeding - or flour)
    -Expired credit card to scrape away stingers from insects
    -list of emergency telephone numbers
    -petroleum jelly
    -penlight
    -clean cloths
    -needle-nose pliers

some of this stuff pertains to dogs (leash/muzzle) if you don't have dogs I wouldn't worry about this stuff - but if you keep a first aid box in your car I'd carry the dog stuff in case you need to save an injured dog.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

mary, thank you so much,, now I just need directions and what some of teh stuff is used for - like epsom salts and vasaline?

honeybear

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you'r gonna go make me dig out my book aren't ya :roll:

Epsom salts can be used to induce vomiting I believe.

Will get back to you on the Vaseline

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

oops wrong...to induce vomiting DO NOT USE IPECAC SYRUP it is dangerous to dogs and cats and show not be used unless specifically advised by vet (quote from the Red Cross book)

Use 3% hydrogen peroxide orally, one sspt. per 10 lounds of body weight.

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

well yeah, I've got several!!!

They verry, I've got the equine and cattle kit, and small animals kit.

They very into whats in them.

Gloves
    gauze
    bandages
    wraps
    splints
    seditives
    sutures
    and a bunch of crap!!!

Yall know me, I use em!!!

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member