1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by scarface7733, Feb 19, 2006.

1. scarface7733

scarface7733 New Member

Ok, this is going to sound weird but, I'm planning on purchasing a 300 gal. tank and Ive decided I would like to put a "not-so normal" group of fish in there. There are 3 types... PICKEREL, Northern PIKE, and a MUSKEE. Yes, I know how big they are able to grow to but I think that the tank size will limit their growth.. My question is..HOW & WHERE do I go to purchase them? Anyone have any ideas??

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Tanks size will stunt the growth of fish (although it's not technically the tank size itself, it's the poor water quality inherent in having too many/too big fish in too small of a tank). And with stunting comes a plethora of health issues, deformities, and early death. So don't get big fish thinking you can simply make them stay smaller by putting them in too small of a tank. You're just going to end up with a bunch of sick/dead fish.

So with that in mind, I'd forget about the northern pike and muskee. A pickerel might work depending on the species. I would aim for a species that gets no larger than 18".

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

hey
    i wouldn't recommed these fish but ... maybe a stocked pond ?

4. scarface7733

scarface7733 New Member

Where can I get?

Where can I go to purchase a Pickerel? And do you think it will survive in a tank with an Elongatus piranha?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Native fish are generally more difficult to come across. Your best bet would probably be some kind of hatchery or maybe some place where people can buy fish to stock their ponds with.

But first, you need to research the different species of pickerels and find out which one would be most suitable (again, I wouldn't recomend any species that gets over 18").

And no, I wouldn't mix it with the piranha. That species of piranha is better to keep without any tankmates.

-Chelle

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

no i would mix natives with domisticated fish