1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

does anyone know if Gentle Leader really works???

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by mdman126, Apr 8, 2004.

1. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi, i have a 4.5 months pomeranian puppy who bites us a lot and i am taking him to puppy classes and the trainer has told me to get the gentle leader for him to reduce the biting. have you guys tried it? or do any of you know anything about it? thanks: gil

2. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

I just got one

was planning on trying it out this weekdend, but I am using it for pulling on the lead so I doubt if my experience will help you.

3. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi

that is okay please let me know what happens because my dog puppy pulls too. thanks a lot

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hi there mdman~

The gentle leader will not stop your dog from biting unless you gently pull on the leash, which will in turn gently close the dogs mouth. When your dog has the gentle leader on, he can do everything he would normally be able to do without the gentle leader on (ex. eat, drink, bark, bite, etc.). The gentle leader is a wonderful training tool IF used appropriately and is properly adjusted on the dog. I have used it when in training with some dogs, and have had wonderful results with it. Although, because my dogs were extremely easy in training (responded very well to words alone), and had no other problems with training, I opted not to use it on them.

If one chooses to use the gentle leader, a little bit of learning on your part is necessary. (The gentle leader actually comes with a 60 some odd page booklet on how to use it and fit it properly.) The GL was carefully designed to mimic and support certain natural features in dogs. Therefore, learning is required to aid in making the use of the GL a success and not causing opposite reactions in your dog through misuse of the GL. In addition, misuse (usually due to an innocent lack of understanding) of the GL can easily injure the dog, so do be careful.

There was actually a recent thread concerning the GL's, and it may be of some interest to you, so here is the link to that thread:
    http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369

Good luck with your training and classes! :D

5. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi

thanks every one. gil