1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know much about this mix breed?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by AnnaBelle, Sep 14, 2005.

1. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

Does anyone know much about this mix breed? The mom is pekingese/poodle mix and the dad is a maltese. Does anyone know how much the puppies might weigh and how many will be born and which parent they might turn out to look like? THANKS!

2. lil96

lil96 New Member

ok, the is not a "breed" that is just a mutt. do not pay any money for it, unless it is a donation to a shelter or something. this can/will have traits of all those different breeds. i am sure it will be a loving cute dog. but i never think it is a good idea to breed different breeds together, especiallly when one is a mix already. tell the person with the parents they should not breed their dogs, there are plenty of homeless mutts already.

3. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

What do you have against mixed breeds? I have a maltese/shi tzu mix and she is the most beatiful and most sweetest dog in the world. She could not be a better dog than she already is. I think all dogs are the same mixed breed or full blooded.

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

It's not that anyone has anything against mixed breeds but a lot of people are breeding mixed breeds just to make money because they're cute and they really have no idea of the health problems that could come out of mixing certain breeds and also there are so many mixed breeds (as well as purebred dogs) in shelters now that aren't getting adopted because they don't have cutesy names like maltipoo or cockapoo and they're not "in style" like the Poo mixes are right now.

What is the point of them breeding a pekapoo to a maltese? Is it just to create cute puppies?

With mixed breeds its hard to say exactly what they will weigh or look like. They could have the curly poodle hair or straight hair, the face of the mother and body of the father or vice verse. It's pretty much just the luck of the draw, so to speak, as to what they'll look like.

A dog is a dog no matter how you look at it, weather purebred or mixed they both make great companions, but when people breed dogs for profit and not for the betterment of the puppies then a lot of people have a problem with that.

5. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

I sort of understand how you all feel. I personaly don't want the puppy because its "in style" I just love dogs and my mom use to have a pekingese/ poodle mix and she was so sweet. And I have a maltese/ shi tzu mix and so a maltese and pekingnese poodle mix sounded so sweet. But, I don't think breeding mixed dogs is going to stop. That's just what I think. It would be nice if everyone would slow down on letting dogs have puppies I guess to give the dogs and pups in the pounds and humane societies a chance to get adopted...but I just don't think that will happen...But any dog is unique in it's own way..they are all special no matter what kind. Thanks for the info. about the mixed breed....

6. lil96

lil96 New Member

i don't have anything against mixed breeds, the dogs i have had are/were mixed breeds. i tink they are great. but I in no way under nocircumstances think 2 different breeds (or 3) should be mixed on purpose. i think also that a lot of peoplewho breed purebreeds should not breed either. there is already too much overbreeding too many unwanted dogs. everyone needs to do their part to stop dogs from being homeless.

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

A lot of the reason as to why people are breeding mixed breed dogs is supply and demand. People are willing to buy these dogs so breeders just keep cranking them out. As hard as it may seem if you resist the urge to get a mixed breed dog (or any cute dog for that matter) and enough people do it eventually there will be no market for them. No market = No breeding.

I agree with you to a point on that Lil. I'm a big fan of breeders who also rescue and generally rescue more animals than they breed.

8. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I don't have anything against mixed breeds. I've had many of them myself.

However, I do have a problem with people who breed low quality dogs to produce low quality puppies, and charge the unsuspecting public a premium price for them.

I've seen these "designer dogs" like Shipoos, Yorkipoos, and all the various Doodles advertised for as much as $5,000! Come on people, that's highway robbery.

At the same time, I bought my purebred, high quality puppy who came with a hefty health guarantee, including the breeders promise to take him back if anything should happen to me and I cannot keep him, for the reasonable sum of $400. And that included the price of having him neutered before I picked him up! His breeder has 30 years of documentation on his ancestors, so any question of genetic problems can be researched should it become necessary. She does her homework well before breeding any litter. And, I might add, my little guy's litter brother was the UKC #1 show dog, all breeds, for 2004. We aren't talking random breeding here. And all that for $400.

As long as people are willing to pay exhorbetant prices for mixed breed, poorly bred dogs, there are people who will breed mixed, poorly bred puppies. If you want a Shipoo or Pomapoo, go to a rescue organization or shelter and adopt one. Don't line the pockets of people who only have one motive; parting you from your hard earned cash.