1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

DOES THIS SOUND GOOD

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Alen, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Alen

Alen New Member

My new 45gal freshwater tank is almost through cycling and I can't wait to put some fish in there. My question is if 3 firemouths, my 6 month old pleco, and my 3 month old Bolivian ram would be a good combo? Now I know what you're thinking, the firemouths are going to beat up on the Bolivian Ram. However my ram is no softy, he has bullied so many of my fish that I think he would be able to hold his own with the firemouth if I got them at a size juSt a little smaller than he is to start out. This would allow him to be the dominant one in the begining.

However, if this ends up being a big mistake, and I am totally wrong I will just put my ram in my other tank.

Another question is about firemouths in general. Are they very active fish, all the stuff that I've looked up about them just mentionEd that they may be teritorial during spawning. I want to know if they will be constantly on the move or just stuck in the corner. Also if I get the firemouths at the same size (about 1 inch) will they pick on each other at all, or wil they get along???

Thanks for any help you can give any if you have any questions ask them. I know this is a long post, but I need answers before I got out and get these guys!!! THANKS

2. Alen

Alen New Member

Anyone......

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Firemouths in general can be described as 7 inches long, with attitude that should be kept with other large fishes. They are carnivorous and need a well-planted large tank to control their agression. Rocks and other hiding places are a plus. They are very active and can be territorial at any time.

The only thing going in your favor is if you add all of the fishes at once. By doing so you will prevent future power struggles from happening. If you buy more than one firemouth, be prepared to move one out due to bullying.

Good luck!

4. Alen

Alen New Member

What would be a good number of firemouths to keep in my forty gallon tank then? would it work out better as a single species tank for me? I was planning to get 3 of them at a size of 1 inch at the same time. The firemouths wont bully each other will they? If so do you have any sollutions for me?

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Firemouths probably will bully each other, it happens with most species of fish. As Hooben said the best thing you could do would be to add them all at once and provide plenty of hiding spots. The more of the same species you can get the better as this will divide the aggression amongst more fish. If you only get three two will likely pick on a third, however if you get four or five the one who gets picked on the most will be able to get lost in the crowd. I believe that's why people usually over populate their mbuna tanks.

6. Alen

Alen New Member

Thanxs guys

I've heard that firemouths should be kept in odd numbers so would it be ok if I got 5 ( a big enough number to disperse the bullying) to put in my 45gal if they were the only ones besides my pleco. If this is possible, would they be active enough to provide a fair amount of movement to my tank to where it looked like there is actually fish in the tank. I don't want them to just hide in caves all the time!!!