1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog and Woman in Fatal Accident

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

2. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I agree 100% sams. My mom and dad made me wait till I was 18. I might even favor 21. Especially, now that I have 2 boys!!!!

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I got mine when I was 16. But I had also been driving tractors, big rigs, and trucks all over the ranch and stuff since I was 8 years old! But kids nowadays jsut get behind the wheel and the next day Zooom!!!!! No tests, no teaching involved!!!

My sister is the protege of why kids shouldn't get licences till 18 or older! She totalled her Toyota tacoma about a month after she got it, then ran into a fence in my truck, then backed up into the garage in her new toyota 4 runner....oh the list goes on! She even speeds up at turns instead of slowing down!!!

4. Rene

Rene New Member

I also agree sams my daughter got her license when she was 16 also she had it for 3 days and hit a van just a fender bender but it cost me 800.00 to buy the lady a new bumper Then i got her a great deal on a 1998 convertable mustang all she had to do was make payments (she works at albertsons and makes pretty good money for a kid) 2 days before christmas last year she was on the freeway and someone tried to come in her lane and it was raining so she went to get out of the way and turned to hard so she went to correct it and over corrected well she spun clear across the whole freeway and hit the cement wall divider. totaled the car but thank god her and her friend were fine. My lovely insurance company said they didnt receive my payment so i didnt have ins. they say so my poor little girl learned a hard lesson she is still making payments of 300.00 a month for a car she doenst have and now she has an accident on her record so it is impossiable to get insurance for her so she doesnt drive.

by the way no one was hurt and only her car was involved.

I think even if the law doesnt change i will make my son wait (he seems more responsialbe then her tho)

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

At least the dog was OK. But I have worried about something like that where I live. We don't have sidewalks so I kind of have to walk in the road. It is also to hot to walk during the day so I usually walk at night.

On the driving thing, I got my license at 15. Had a few accidents and a few tickets. I speed up during turns too. My dad told me to do that. He said, you slow down before you turn and then step on it during the turn. LOL. It seems so funny to me typing it. He said that is how race car drivers do it. Hmmm....I'm beginning to see the cause of my bad driving.

6. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I'm not sure how it is around the rest of the country, but here ever since movies like "Too Fast, Too Furious" got popular, street racing is all the rage with kids. And at least once or twice a month, there are fatal accidents becuase of it. And a good share of the time, the deaths also include innocent people in ohter cars not involved in the racing. Just a while ago, two kids were racing and one of them head on-ed and older woman on her way home from church and killed her as well as himself.... and a couple months ago in another street race one of the cars lost control and 4 kids as well as a dog riding in the car were all killed. Every time it happens, I hope all the street racing kids will learn and stop doing it, but it never fails.... within a week or two, it happens again.

7. DogLover

DogLover New Member

I also believed that this movie has caused a negative impact on many youngsters. I saw on news many tragic incidents as a result of teens attempting to mimic the movie when that movie was out in the theater.

I am also in favor of granting DL at age of 18. Even though it's only a 2-year difference, a 16-year old just don't have the type of self control and responsiblity as a 18-year old.

Again, parents should always be familiar with their kids' driving. It is something that a parent can do and can prevent the kids from getting into accidents. Most important of all, when the parents are confident that their kids can take control of the wheel, there wouldn't be innocent people being injured and killed.

8. Kathy74

Kathy74 New Member

I got my licence at 16, but my parents only allowed me to drive with one of them till I was 17, then until I was 18, I could drive with one of them or my older brother or sister. By the time I was allowed to drive alone or with friends, most of my friends had already had accidents, or tickets, so I was pretty sensible . We now have graduated licencing. 16-17 only with your parents. 17-18 only with another licenced driver. Then it's a regular licence. I think it's a good idea. If I would have been allowed, I would have cruised like hell in my parents luxury car!!!

9. nern

nern New Member

How sad. I must agree that 16yrs of age is way too young for some teens to be responsible drivers.
    I did'nt get my license until I was 18.

10. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

This is horrible. I agree kids should have to wait longer to get their licence. I work at a sheriffs office and see tragidy quite often where teens are being irresponsible. Cell phones and radios are more important than the road.

11. QueenyJr

QueenyJr New Member

I'm 15 I will be 16 and I hope they do not raise the age limit because well, my Dad works 2nd shift and is gone during the day, My mom passed away two years ago and the rest of my Family is always to budy for me so if i need something i have to wait on someone else to go and get it...other than that i wouldn't be driving...(if i had my license) I live about 5-10 minutes out of town and well, I can't wait to get my license just becaus eif i need to go somewhere i can go. I dont liek being stranded. Okay, Ladies this is what i mean lol, about a month and a hlaf ago i was out of ya know, and well guess what? I had to wait 4 hours for someone to bring me some because they were all to busy and i can't drive...so therefore i was without anything. it just sucks. I understand about it i really do, but I dunno, i just want them that way i can go get things like that...does that make sense? PLease dont jump all ver me. I am having a really bad day.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think it's a decision every family needs to make with each child individually. Too many things are legislated for us, and then people start to think that if it's legal that means it is "safe." Like toddler car seats - some people stop using them when it is no longer mandated by law. I didn't stop until my children could no longer fit in the convertible seats - which means my daughter was still using a booster-type seat when she was in Kindergarten or 1st grade.

Parents should know their kids. They should take them driving to practice. When they are ready, THEN they can take their test and get their license. I was not allowed to get mine as soon as I finished my driver's ed class even though it would have been legal. I could not get mine until my mother was satisfied.

13. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

QueenyJr--- I understand what you are saying--- like with so many things, a few "bad" apples can make things hard for the whole bunch! I know some 16 year olds that are way more mature and responsible than others-- And I understand your need. My niece who is 15 lives way out of town too. She is a very good kid as well, doesn't like drinking, smoking, drugs....etc. And she doesn't hang around kids that do. I know she will be driving soon, and I know she will be more responsible than a lot of kids....but it still frightens me. See... the thing is, I remember being 16, 18, 21.... all of those ages that are big deals when you're growing up. And...at each of those ages, I THOUGHT I was much more mature and wise to the ways of the world than I actually was..... And that's what's happening here with all of us "older" women saying we don't think 16 is old enough.... we all remember that, too. We know what we know now and what we knew then, and know that it's actually pretty scary to have your own life and the life of others in the hands of people so young and not yet as experienced as it sometimes takes.
    So.... we're not trying to give you a hard time really! It's just hard sometimes to hear about so many times when young people's lives are taken away because of things that happen behind the wheel of a car. So much can go wrong so fast--- So when you do get your license-- Please be careful, okay :mrgreen:

14. rio_and_me

rio_and_me New Member

Hi i dont know how your system works over there but here you cant drive a car untill you are 17, thats with a lisenced drive over the age of 21/25 i cant rember (you have to be insure on that car as a learner), then you have to take a theory test (quite hard), then a practical test then your free to drive on your own.
    I did this past both test first time, went out and crashed my car (noone was hurt it was into a hedge) NOT through reckless driving just nervous and not consentrating, after that i feel i am a safe driver.
    But some teens well they shouldnt have a puch bike let alone a car.
    Ky

15. Jody

Jody New Member

So sad! :cry:

16. lil96

lil96 New Member

Here I think you can get a moped or scooter license at 15 then at 18 you can get an automatic or stick license, for whichever type car you drive you have to pass the test and take behind the wheel in that type car. and if you are caught with an autom. license but driving a stick it is big trouble, but not the other way around. But my bf says it is fairly expensive and time consuming to go through the required classes and the insurance is extra high, so basically, you need to save up for a while to get one and also the cars and insurance are higher over here.
    But I got my license when I was 17(almost 18), in USA, which is what I hear some people here do (if they are exchange students) because it is so much easier to pass in USA and cheaper. I had 3 small accidents only involving my car the first weekend I drove, but that is a lonng story...
    Do you think anyone will take the dog, as it had been recently rescued? Maybe we could find more info on it and if no one is taking it have it as next weeks rescue?

17. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Ohhhh how sad. I haven't gotten my licesne yet, but i can when i'm 15. my parents aren't letting me drive alone for a year though.