1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog booties

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lil96, Nov 9, 2004.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

Does anyone use dog booties? or shoes whatever they are called? The weather here has been terrible lately and every time he goes outside I have to wipe his feet off when he comes back in, and 2x today, he has had to get in the shower. So that is why I need some dog shoes. Are they any good? How do you get the dog used to them? Thanks

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I was going to use them with Max but I never got a chance to. It would protect their feet from the salt on the streets and from the cold. Max used to get bumps between his toes if I didn't get all of the salt out.

I'm thinking about using them with Rocky this year

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I bought them for Harley last year. She would get frost bite just going out to pee. It's kinda funny to see them on her because she just stomps around instead of walking normally. Sillyl girl.

Anyways, I got mine for $20 at the pet store. Make sure you get all weather ones that have waterproof padding on the bottom. I found that the velcro ones work better than snaps.

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

good tips!

5. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hi All,

I am going to get Abbey a pair too!
    For salt on paws, there is a cream you can purchase that helps with this. I will get the name and post tonight from home.

6. karma

karma New Member

Stay away from the ones that secure with built-in elastic. If they're too tight they can cut off circulation in the feet and even cause very alarming swelling (and probably lead to worse.)

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

WE don't get much of a freeze out here, maybe a couple of days out of the year it'll frost and freeze, but on those days. I take a pair of baby socks, put them on their feet and then take the mechanics laytex gloves (thier thicker than medical ones) an tape them over the socks... worked for me!!!

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Granvel thought up a very good idea. instead of using socks one year. He used non lubricated condoms!!! IT was Hilarious!!!! But you couldn't tell what they were....he cutt off all the excess lengths.....but it worked!

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

sams that is too funny!
    I don't think the cold bothers him, he just gets so dirty and I hate it. It wouldn't bother me if I was still renting, bc it wouldn'T be my carpet. But since I imagine we will spend the rest of our lives here, I need to do something to keep him from getting so dirty and I feel bad showering him so much, but it is just gross. And I am a push over when I see him smiling and I know he is smiling when he gets dirty.

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

LOL Sam, that is too funny!

Lil, I thought you were moving back to the states soon?

honeybear

11. lil96

lil96 New Member

YAY in January, I do go back, but only for 2 years. My *husband* (I love saying that now!) has a post doc position there. The house we live in was his grandmothers house (she died) and itself is an old house, but for a house in the city it is huge and I think we have the biggest yard in all of Munich! but we recently (before we knew we were going back) convinced his dad not to tear it down and put apartments here, so we are responsible now for all the upkeep.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I wash their little feets before they can come back into the house. On rainy days, I have been known to wash them a dozen times! I try to minimize the number of outside trips, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

With Bonnie, I just take a small container of water and dip her feet into it one at a time and use my fingers to rub between her little toes and slosh some water higher onto her legs if they are muddy. She stands nicely for me to do this. I have found if you squeeze her feet gently, you can actually sort of wring them out to get the water out. Nala is afraid of the container of water (sigh) so I also bring out a wet washcloth and use it to wash her feet, then rinse the cloth out in the sink so it is ready to go for the next time. I put an old towel down in the doorway so when they come in, the excess water from the washing soaks into the towel. So far, my carpet is doing just fine!

The whole process really only takes a few minutes. I have learned to do Nala's first and then let her in, or she ends up drinking muddy water out of Bonnie's foot container which makes me go, "Ick!"

My sister is the one who alerted me to the bucket method. She also washes her doggie's feet before they come in. She has trained her Golden to stand there and offer her feet one at a time, LOL. She has a mud room where they can stand to do this - must be nice!

13. lil96

lil96 New Member

with the bucket method do you use warm water? do you prepare it beforehand or get it ready after? I have to ring out Luthers little toes too and that hair that grows on the back of his legs. He and the other 2 dogs I walk are trained now when we come back inside even if it isn'T a rainy day sit and wait till I pat them off with the towel.
    For me it isn't so quick, bc I don't know how he does it, but Luther gets dirt under all layers of his coat, oh I wish I had a short haired dog