1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

dog chasing cats

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by moose, May 23, 2004.

1. moose

moose New Member

here is the situation: i adopted a terrier/border collie (?) mix puppy about a month ago, and he will be 4 months old on may 25. i also have 3 cats ranging in age from 1 year to 2 years -- dessler (the dog) can't get enough of the cats...much to their dismay.

i have read up on tips to stop the constant chasing online, but i wanted to see what has worked for people here.

the cats have a room gated off, as well as numerous hiding places outside of the gated area to get away from dessler...but i hate to see them running around and hissing and growling.

so, suggest away!

2. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

I second that one...my little one is non stop chasing my newly adopted cat. Help please! I bought her a neat cat tree that goes to the ceiling so she can get away....err...he! its a he! (I just rescued him this week) but I'd like him to be able to move about the place freely.

3. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

you will never be able to stop a dog chasing a cat. its their natural instinct. as they grow older they will settle down alot. just make sure there is a place for the cats to hide. usually a dog will back away when a cat scratches them.

4. nern

nern New Member

Natalie used to chase my cats too. I would get her attention with a "Hey!" and call her to me then I would play with her to keep her occupied. Long, daily walks and chases in the yard helped tire her out enough to not bother the cats quite as much. As kyles mentioned, she did settle down as she grew up and she really does'nt chase them anymore but she does like to play with them....though they seem to enjoy it too.

5. Nik

Nik New Member

Hi, there's a few on here who know exactly how it feels as I found out when I asked for some help a while back.

I have a border collie too, and 2 cats. The gate is the best idea. I've had mine 7 months now and it's got to where the gate is hardly ever closed. The cats wander in when they feel the time's right (when he's sleeping or laying quietly) and things are calming down.

I taught him 'leave it' from the start. He tends to ignore me saying it a bit at the moment, I think it's becasue the cats have got used to him, and although they hiss and growl at him he knows he's allowed near them.
    My female cat is in the most, almost back to her normal self, but she growls the whole time. It drives me mad and it's so hard not to yell at her to stop it after I've had enough, but any bad vibes and your dog will pick up on it and think the cats are a bad thing.

So, all I can say is...
    To teach your pup/dog a 'leave it' kind of command, or a 'down' so he knows to leave them alone. (a single command was better I found, as now if he takes off after something when he's off his leash, like a bird or squirrel, I say 'leave it' and he stops as he's associating it with not chasing and nothing else)
    To show the cats lots of love infront of the dog so he learns they're a good thing and nice to have around. (this way if he does chase them it will hopefully always be in play rather than to rip them to peices)
    And lastly, to give it time. Like I said, it's been 7 months here and although it's not how I'd like it to be yet, 4 months ago I didn't think there was any chance of it being this good.

Good luck.

Oh, I just remembered something someone told me to try...
    It was the 'dropping your keys' trick.

Get a bunch of keys and some treats, the second the dog takes off after a cat drop the keys and use a command (such as 'leave it', 'no'). The noise gets their attention right away and you give them the treat at that second. After a while you randomise it so they never know if they're getting a treat or not, then stop dropping the keys and just say the comand. My friend did this for 2 days solid and she has a peaceful house now.

6. Jody

Jody New Member

Ok this is how I see it, Cats run, Dog's chase...Tye the cats legs together so they don't run....JUST KIDDING. Jasper would always chase my mother-in-law's cats all the time when we visisted basically because 'they ran'. It gave Jasper and Miah 'something to chase' because they were bored.
    After a while the cats got sick of being chased so they stuck up for themselves and would fight back. Both Jasper and Miah have been scratched by the cats and now when I visit the in-laws Jasper wont chase them. Miah runs for cover when she see's a cat and Jasper walks right on past them.
    Now different story again, Jasper see's cats in the back yard while locked in the laundry of a night time and will cry to get out, I think she's crying to get out so she can go to the toilet, but after a while she'll track the cat down and chase it....Why?? I DON"T KNOW!
    Go Figure huh..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Good luck with your cats.

7. gailau

gailau New Member

I introduced my cat, Max, as a kitten into a household with two big dogs - neither was aggressive but a new kitten draws a lot of attention. From the outset, the dogs were reprimanded when they approached the kitten. I did a lot of cudding and patting of the dogs whilst they observed the kitten. There was common two-way respect developed as the dogs accepted Max and Max gained maturity and accepted his two mates. He grew to even join in when ball throwing time was on - that was a spectacle of mammoth proportions :D Those two friends have since passed on but Max remains.
    8/9 months ago I introduced two 10 week old pups into the household. Max was not impressed. Today, Max rules the roost although the boys get a bit loud on occasion. Max just sorts them out. I once again impressed very rigidly on the two new pups from the outset that the cat was not an item to be toyed with and they quite clearly understand they are not to hurt Max. If the boys do get a bit carried away from time to time, Max seems to be able to put them in their place without hurting them.
    For what it's worth, I believe discipline from the word go seems to create a very manageable arrangement between dogs and cats.

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Yeah, my two are kin to ALf!