1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog ear infection help.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Trickster, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Well this is my 1st post on dog fourms but anyway.....

My dog got an infection in his ear, and i would like to know the best way to clean his ear and treat his infection.

(its all red and swollen inside)

Thanks in advance

(And i cant take him to the vet.... $$$)

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

vet....if it's that red and swollen he probably needs antiobiotics. And what if it's something other than an infection?
    Does it smell? If his ears are smelly it's probably a yeast infection and drops are usually required for that or it simply won't go away.

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Yea, it smells. guess its a yeast infection, so how can i treat it at home?

Right now im giving him Polysporin ear drops and cream.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my previous dog used to suffer with ear yeast infections and she required meds prescribed by the vet - 2 different kind of drops. What I used to do to save the cost of an office visit was gently using a q-tip take a sample of the stuff in her ears so the vet could check it. They did that for a minimal fee and the cost of the meds....but I didn't have to pay the extra for office visit

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My vet suggested rinsing the ear with a vinegar-water solution. It changes the pH and makes it less hospitable for yeast to grow. However, your dog's ear sounds like it may need antibiotics. I'd try to take a sample in to the vet, as Mary suggested.