1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog eating poop...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by SwtBettyLu, Jul 1, 2004.

1. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

My sister has a Miniature Rat Terrier and she is having trouble with her dog eating poop. Does anyone know why she does this and what I can tell her so she can help her puppy to stop doing this? I can really use some advice for her. Her puppy is 5 months old now and very loving. Thanks for the help :p

2. Julia1119

Julia1119 New Member

My ShihPoo Winnie is 1.5 yrs old and she still eats her poo once in a while. Small dogs tend to do this. I have a friend whos Shiztu eats hers and she is 5 or 6! I have used these pills to try to get her to stop, but they havent worked! I heard you can sprinkle some meat tenderizer on their food to get them to not eat their poop. when winnie was a puppy, she would eat OTHER dogs poo, as well as hers. Then throw it ALL up on my brand new bedding. I couldnt get mad, shes too darn cute!

3. nern

nern New Member

Natalie used to eat her own poop too when she was a puppy. I used meat tenderizer to break of this. She has'nt done it since she was little....she is almost 4yrs old now.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Isn't it gross!!!!!!! :0024:

Poop eating, medically termed Coprophagia, is usually done simply because it is a tasty treat for the dog, but in some cases it is a sign of malnutrition, or sometimes even a psychological result of too firm of correction when accidentally eliminating indoors. One of my shih-poos, Tigger, used to do it a lot when he was a puppy if I didn't act fast enough. However, I always tried to be right there when they were eliminating so I could catch him before he got to it and firmly tell him "NO," along with the "leave it" command. From what I hear, most dogs grow out of it. I don't know if that was the case with my Tigger, or if he just gave up after so many times of me saying, "NO, leave it!" :0011:

Here are a few websites concerning this issue that you may want to look at:

http://www.ddc.com/petplace/dogtraining/poop.html

http://familyfun.go.com/parenting/learn ... tpoop.html

http://www.perfectpaws.com/copro.html

Hope that helped, and good luck to your sister! :D

5. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

Thank you ShihPoo that will help alot. I am having my sister come over so she can read all of this information :p

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Sure, glad that will be of some assistance to your sister! Giving that all is good, psychologically and physically, with her pup, it is more than apt that her "poop eating behavior" is just the norm - the pup simply finds the droppings to be delightfully delicious, that's all!

I have to admit, it really makes you think twice about all those lovely dog kisses that our cute little canines so generously provide us! :wink:

:D

7. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

EEEWWW!!! OK that was something I really didn't think about till now, :p . Wait till I tell my sister. Heehee. :lol:

8. noggin

noggin New Member

LISTERINE !!!

Noggin loves eating goose poop!! He will find it, where ever it is and now, he looks at me with this devilish look and laughs just before looking down and gobbling it up. He thinks this is funny now!!!

Once, someone told me that they actually carried around a spritzer bottle filled with Listerine. And she would gently spray some into her dog's mouth right after she ate some poop from the ground. After a while her dog - NOT liking the Listerine very much STOPPED eating the poop!

Not sure if this is safe for dogs - this woman claimed it worked!

goodluck
    Todd

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

LOL... Listerine is some nasssssssty tastin stuff!! LOL.... (but then again, they're eating POOP!!!!)

10. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

That is too funny I gotta tell my sister that one. LOL

11. noggin

noggin New Member

Funny yes!!

I too thought that was funny. I would think you'd at least use the minty fresh blue stuff.

Is it true?? What they say? I've heard that dog's often have cleaner mouths than humans!

For some reason, I can't ever smell bad breath from Noggin. There's really not much of an odor at all..... Is that just because I'm used to it?

This habit of him eating goose poop really frustrates me. When you think of these birds, what I hear,,, the nasty things that could be in that poop. It's a wonder that their systems can handle that! It's nearly impossible to keep him from doing that aside form keeping him on concrete - impossible!! I've been entertaining the listerine idea......

todd

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Oh gosh, Mickey & Tigger LOVE to eat deer and rabbit poop!!! :0024: (Fortunately, I broke their old habit of eating their own poop...can we say, YUCK! :0021: )

You're right noggin, there really is no easy way of preventing them from eating such delightful delicacies while on walks and such. Unless of course, you can see it ahead of time and steer them away from it, but my two dogs will usually find it WAY before I can spot it, unfortunately! If they happened to eat some during their walk, as SOON as we come home, their good 'ol toothpaste and toothbrush are put to work on them!!! :wink: (Fortunately though, they are getting better and better about not eating it...fingers crossed in hopes that this trend will continue!)

You'll have to let us know if the Listerine works or not! :y_the_best:

Alright, I had some time to kill, so I went online and looked it up real quick! Take a look at this sight...it's answers the question:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/w ... 90400a.htm

Have a great day everyone! :D

13. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Now that is funny! and something i never even thought of in "those terms"! LOL

14. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yeah, same thing I was thinkin' when I read it! It really puts it into a whole new perspective!!! And to think that I gladly let my dogs kiss me!!! :?

:D