1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog fight

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jamiya, May 13, 2004.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Well, Nala and Bonnie went at it for the first time. They were both chewing on stuffed Kongs so I could watch Angel in peace. When I first put them down, Nala grabbed Bonnie's, because she always thinks Bonnie has something better. Bonnie simply walked over to the other one. So Nala grabbed that one back and Bonnie went back to the first one. Then they laid down and chewed contentedly for a long time.

I didn't see what happened, but suddenly they were growling and snarling at each other and starting to fight. It was scary! I distracted them with noise and grabbed a cupful of food and threw some in a bowl outside, which Nala promptly ran for. I gave some to Bonnie inside and while they were eating, I took the Kongs away.

They were empty by then. I suspect that Nala tried to take Bonnie's and she finally drew the line. But my son says Nala was just lying there chewing and Bonnie started it. He could have been mistaken, though.

So anyway, they seemed fine afterwards, but I crated them anyway because it was about time for bed.

Do you think I need to worry about leaving them tomorrow? I think as long as they don't have any high value things out (they usually don't) they will be fine. Do you agree?

Jamiya

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Is this the first time they went at it ?
    Sometimes ,dogs have to find out which is the dominate one .This happens .I would more than apt supervise them togeher for awhile ,just to see if they do it again before I came home to a mess .Might be wise .
    Of course I could be wrong ,and it may be a one time thing ,but usually it isn't until one has the dominance issue in hand .

3. goob

goob New Member

I'd give them some time to cool off and forget about what happened before leaving them alone together, it'll also give you a chance to watch how they're acting around each other and better gauge the chances of another disagreement. Females can tend to hold a grudge after a fight, and many think they can be worse than two males in respect to being quicker to argue after the first. Better to seperate for a few days and monitor closely for nothing than to not and have something go wrong.

4. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Id also say they were trying to establish dominance. I think you are lucky they hadnt snapped at eachother earlier. My pups have already gotten into scraps a hanful of times. Once because of too rough play on Laika's part and the other times because Laika insists on finishing up Nana's food which is why they get tied up when they eat.

Good luck with them. I would watch them for a while, since they are both grown dogs

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

They seem totally normal this morning. The only times I have ever seen even a trace of any tension between them was once when Nala finally pushed Bonnie too hard and Bonnie snapped at her. Nala immediately backed down.

I'm never totally sure who is dominant. Nala is pushy, but if challenged she usually backs down. But Bonnie rarely stands up for herself. This time with the Kong is the only time Nala hasn't immediately backed down, but the stuffed Kong is a VERY high-value treat for both of them, especially Miss Food-Oriented Nala.

Bonnie tolerates a lot of crap from Nala - Nala chews on her leg or her ears trying to get her to play. Bonnie just stands there. Eventually, she plays.

I feed Nala first. I have to put them on tie out lines to feed them separately or Nala WILL cause a fight trying to steal Bonnie's food but keep her own - whereas Bonnie couldn't care less what Nala has as long as she gets some, too. So I put Nala on her line and make her sit, drop the food on the ground, release her, and then take Bonnie to her tie-out and repeat.

I get alarmed when I read about dogs reaching a certain age and suddenly not getting along anymore. Nala is still a puppy - she is just about a year old. In fact, Saturday will be her "birthday" as we are guessing it to be.

Jamiya

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Food is the number one thing that gets my to boys in fights so we just separate them at dinner time and after for about and hour. Chew toys are the same as dinner so we keep them apart. Our Collie 2 year old wants to be the boss and our 5 year old pyr does not care as long as he leaves his food alone. I the last few months they have learned I am the boss and seem to have settled down. We keep a pot handy and bang it real loud or us the hose when they are outside but as I said they seem to be getting better. I always gave them the day off from each other after a fight. We are lucky that our pyr is very easy going and does not like to fight so he just turns his butt to our Collie and walks away.
    Never get between two dogs fighting, I have found that if I have to I grab a tail and pull them apart and have my wife or son grab the other one in the same manner if they are near by works rather well in stopping a fight. I also found that most dogs don't like to be in a confided space with each other when one is young and is at the stage to challenge position of authority.I think they know I well not put up with them fighting, when they get that look in there eyes I just tell them not to even think about it and tell one to go out and the other to go lay down. I am the boss and they know it and I have the final say.

2pyrs

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya, I wouldnt worry about it, I just wouldnt leave them alone with food oriented things.

Jake is like Bonnie, he will let Wylie take his food, bone etc, even Midas has walked up to him while eating and just lets them, Now when Wylie will actually take a bone away from Jake and just sits there, I think this is very unusual and that most dogs would get pissed and become aggressive. That probably happened with Nala and Bonnie, bonnie may have gone over to check out Nalas Kong and nala siad enough and wnet after bonnie and then bonnie said enough.

I have sort of this problem when Jake starts to hump wylie. she goes ballistic, I am surpised she hasnt drawn blood.

I would just keep an eye on them when you are home feeding them their treats.

honeybear

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Smoke and Char go after it occasionally. Charllotte doesn't play with toys, but when Smokey gts a new one, CHar has to go "Investigate" and most of the time tries to take it away to "check it out" Of course Smokey gets mad, jumps her and she gets mad, jumps him back.....ect...

I think you should abserve them for a while longer, and give them thier toys, if they do it again. Take the toys away IMEDIATELY!!!
    Its probably just a jelousy thing, like Smokey and Char go through. They will both get toys, Char NEVER plays with hers, but you can't buy one dog something with out getting the other the same thing..

Recon these are kids instead of dogs???

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LOL! It is very childish 2-year-old MINE MINE MINE behavior, isn't it?

Well, we left them as usual and they were fine....except someone has the runs (ewwwwww!). Not good, on carpet.

Jamiya

10. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Jamiya

That's why they make wet and dry vacuums.
    Great for drying the guys after a bath.

2pyrs :lol: