1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog herding my children

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Mix Breed lover, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Mix Breed lover

Mix Breed lover New Member

I just recently adopted a Border Collie/Blue heeler mix. He is one year old. He tries to herd my children when they run. He nips at there ankles but doesn't really hurt them. Any tips on how to stop this behavior? I also took him to be groomed today and he was aggresive with the groomer. I am worried about his temperment around people he doesn't know. He is otherwise a sweet dog. Any ideas on what I can do?

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Welcome to the board! I do not know much about blue heelers but Sams does she breeds them. So hopefully she will see this soon and give you some great advice!

3. Nik

Nik New Member

Hi there, welcome aboard.
    Hmm, firstly I have to say that I have reservations about adopting a dog that's not a pup and is going to be around children. I know they have checks and everything, but like you said, it may just be a little thing that triggers something that has happened to them and not been dealt with properly for something terrible to happen. Please, please keep a close eye on things for a while yet. (I know you will and I didn't need to say that, but I had a friend who adopted a pit at 2 yrs old and he killed the neighbours dog within 3 months. He'd had all his checks, was great with other animals and children, so she just took their word for it not taking any real precautions :( )

All I can think of right now is how you have to turn everything negative into a possitive for them. Maybe try giving the children treats to give the dog so he starts focusing more on what they might give him when he's being good rather than their ancles. Or get him trained with the 'down stay' super fast so if he ever looks like he might take off after something you can use that.

About the grooming... Floob hated it to begin with, especially his ears and tail being groomed but now he's good about it. I used treats, just a tiny one in one hand and brushed the other ear saying 'good boy' as I did it. As soon as I'd done that ear I gave him his release command (ok) so he'd know it was over, then get him back in a 'sit' and repeat for the other side. He just sits there and lets me do it now, he lets anyone infact.

Distraction is another good way of stopping them doing things you don't want them to do. Is he ball focused? If he is (or any other toy he loves) try a firm 'no' when he's nipping or chasing followed by 'go get your ball' then he'll understand that you're not stopping his fun, just swapping it for something 'acceptable'

Good luck :)

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

Someone else posted recently about something similar (dogs nipping) and it is because (if I remember right) they are a herding dog and that is how they herd. I don't remeber a way to fix it though. You probably need to reward him while grooming, start off simple let him know it is a good thing to get brushed.
    But I am sure everyone will have a much better description than wha I can give!

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Sams should have some good advice when she see this post. My first recommendation is - don't let your children run when the dog is present! If they don't want to be herded, they will need to stay in control around her. How old are the kids?

Second, you need to teach her that it is unacceptable to herd children. Get a good down-stay on her. Tell her "NO!" when she starts to chase them and distract her with something else. Reward her for NOT herding the kids when they run. Teach her a command like "Leave It" and when she starts to herd the kids, give the command. Get a good book about Border Collies or Cattle Dogs and see if there is more info - this is a very common behavior for them.

These are all things you can try. While you are working on solutions, I would really think abut telling the kids not to run near her. And NEVER leave the kids and the dog together unsupervised, at least for a few months.

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

all heeler pups ive come across do this. its just natural. do what jamiya said and over time he should grow out of it, as its part of puppy play. darn ankle biters! :lol:

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I afraid that trying to teach a herder not to herd is like teaching a Lab not to like tennis balls. It's in their genes. On the bright side however, when we first got Freckles, a mixed breed with herder genes, he was about a year old and he would nip at your heels wherever you walked. After just a few weeks he stopped and I really don't remember doing anything special to make him stop. Now he does "herd" up every tennis ball in the house into a nice little circle that he controls. It's really funny watching Duke, the Lab, try to figure a way to get one of the balls. He will circle Freckles and as soon as Freckles attention is diverted for a second Duke will snatch one of the balls and run off. At that point Freckles will abandon the four other balls an relentless follow after Duke until Duke gets tired and gives the ball back to him. Satifisfied Freckles then returns the ball to the "herd".
    Best advice I can give for your new dog is find a job for him to do. I am hoping to enter Freckles into agility training as soon as he completes basic obedience school.

8. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I afraid that trying to teach a herder not to herd is like teaching a Lab not to like tennis balls. It's in their genes. On the bright side however, when we first got Freckles, a mixed breed with herder genes, he was about a year old and he would nip at your heels wherever you walked. After just a few weeks he stopped and I really don't remember doing anything special to make him stop. Now he does "herd" up every tennis ball in the house into a nice little circle that he controls. It's really funny watching Duke, the Lab, try to figure a way to get one of the balls. He will circle Freckles and as soon as Freckles attention is diverted for a second Duke will snatch one of the balls and run off. At that point Freckles will abandon the four other balls an relentlessly follow after Duke until Duke gets tired and gives the ball back to him. Satifisfied Freckles then returns the ball to the "herd".
    Best advice I can give for your new dog is find a job for him to do. I am hoping to enter Freckles into agility training as soon as he completes basic obedience school.

9. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

HI! Welcome to the WONDERFUL :roll: world of cattle dogs!! Wahoooooo!!!!

A life full of "NO!"'s don't, and BAD DOGS!!! he he he..

Anyhow. Down to the point. The best way to keep your dog from doing what it was bred to do in the first place, is to keep a leash on him. When your children are outside (or inside for that matter) and they begin to run. HOld him. Tell him no. and treat him for not chasing after them. He's got A LOT of pent up energy that HAS to be expelled EVERY day. The easiest way to tame down on his herding instinct and to keep him from wanting to herd, give him soemthing to herd. Like a frisbee, or ball! Let him focus on that, and reward him for playing with it. He'll learn quick that Ball or frisbee is fun, and kids are bad....

Good luck.

10. Mix Breed lover

Hi everyone,
    First I would like to thank you all for your kind welcome. Secondly I really appreciate the tips. My dog (Perry) is doing much better. I have been keeping him on a leash and that seems to be working. He only seems to do it if they are running but asking a child not to run is like asking them not to play. He really is a sweet boy and I know it's not an agressive problem so I am definally willing to work with him. He has been passed around allot and I am determined not to let that happen again. He is very high energy. I am used to that though. I also have a Boxer/Lab mix (Parker) and he was very rotten when I first got him. He has been though obedience classes and is now the best dog. That is my next step with Perry. As far as a job if you have any ideas I would appreciate it. Agility would be great but it isn't offered around here. I am not sure what to do with him to burn up the energy. I walk him twice a day and he still has boundless energy. He doesn't seem very interested in frisbee or balls but I have only had him a week so I'm sure he will get more playful as he gets comfortable. Thanks again.

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

As you have discovered, walking doesn't do it. It just gets them in better condition which results in more energy. :)

Any games you can play help - fetch, frisbee, hide-n-seek, etc. You can do your own agility stuff - there are many books that will show you how. Are there any stock dog trainers near you? That would be people who teach herding, either for real life work or for competition. Also, using their brains tires them out, so teach obedience and fun tricks. Keep it all positive - clicker training is a great way to go.

12. Mix Breed lover

Well I have terrible news. I have to return my Perry back to the people I got him from. He bit my nephew today. He was off leash because my children were'nt home and I knew my sister was coming but she got here early. He broke thru my patio screen door and went strait for my nephew he wasn't hurt seriously but now I'm scared he may hurt someone else. I am so upset. I really love him and it breakes my heart. He has been thru so much and deserves a home. I just don't know what else to do.

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

What do you mean by "bit"? Did he break the skin? All herding dogs NIP which can be painful but is definitely different than biting. However, breaking through the screen door I find to be alarming...

14. Mix Breed lover

Yes he broke the skin on his side. This was a true bite. He went after him thru the screen door with sheer agression. My nephew is okay. Not a deep bite but it was bleeding. We believe he was trying to protect the family. I am so sad this happened and my children are very upset.

15. Samsintentions

Heelers do become VERY protective of their property and family. One big thing about heelers is Farmers will carry them in the beds of their trucks for protection. A lesson most people in small towns know, DOn't mess with a dog in the back of a truck. Same goes for a home.

There's a sign on my front gate. Says Beware of Dog. My dogs (correction, dog) will come running to the front gate. He won't growl at you but will bite you if your dumb enough to open and step through the gate.

They are very protective of their herds. And a family has to teach the dog that theya re not a herd. The family is Alpha.

Heelers make wonderful police and rescue dogs for the sheer fact they have that drive to hunt out and herd things. Their nip alone is painful but harmless. Where as a German Shephard will bite and dig in, often causing injury.

I'm sorry you have to surrender him. More training would have fixed this problem. Every problem can be fixed with some training in heelers. They are fast learners and that in in itself gets them in the most trouble. Like the saying goes, "too smart for their own good".

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Where are you going to return the dog? If you can find a heeler rescue rather than a shelter, he will be better off. A rescue should be able to place him in a foster home that is familiar with this type of dog and can provide the training he needs before he goes to a new home. Come back here and ask if you can't find a rescue in your area, and we can help you.

If you decide not to surrender him, you NEED to work with a GOOD behaviorist or trainer that is familiar with heelers and uses POSITIVE methods to help him learn how to behave.

Whatever you decide, I am sorry you have had to go through this difficult experience. If you do turn him in, please be careful in selecting a new dog. Research breeds and behaviors and think very hard about what qualities you want the dog to have. Come here and ask if you need help with a decision like that!

17. Samsintentions

Where are you from? I might be able to help. I have an open kennel if your not too far away.

18. Mix Breed lover

He came from a wonderful rescue group called Planned Pethood. They are located up around Toledo Ohio. If you would like to visit there website it is www.plannedpethood.com. They are wonderful people. He Lived in a foster home befor. He will go back to them. I have already been in contact with them. He will be evaluated by a behavriolist and recieve extensive training. They won't give up on him. I wish there was some other alternative. I am willing to put the work into him but I have small children and I just can't risk it. I also spoke to my vet and she agreed with me. The fact that he went thru the door to get to my nephew is very alarming. Don't worry I will make sure he gets the best possible care. I don't blame Perry. He was just doing what he felt He needed to do. Thank you all for your kindness.
    Stacey

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

That sounds like the best situation for him and for your family. I'm glad he will get the help he needs!

20. pyrmom

pyrmom New Member

My daughter and son-in-law had an Australian cattle dog named Blue. Blue spent a great deal of time "herding" the girls who were 7 & 8 at the time. He'd nip at their heels to get htem moving where he wanted them to go without injuring them (no actual biting or broken skin). Blue had to be placed in another home as he couldn't adjust to the new baby in the house, but is healthy nad happy and has a 10 year old to ride herd on!