1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog regressing a bit in potty training

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

I know regressing a little is normal and I have only had Syd for 4 days or so...for the most part she is great but she seems to have a lot of accidents this past 24 hours...I read somewhere to take water away at a certain time...like 7pm(I go to bed around 9-930pm)...then they wont pee as much at night...i do expect her to pee at night..but if i did this maybe she wouldnt have to pee as much???(All of her accidents are during the day though...she seems ok so far at night but Im worried since she is having more accidents) Anyone heard of doing this...it seems like she would maybe want some water if she plays before bed when I try and tire her out....can I please have your thoughts on this...thanks....(I dont want to dehydrate her or anything)

2. pompeii

pompeii New Member

If you take it away at 7pm, at what time will she have access to it again?

3. winnie

winnie New Member

she would have access to it agian at around 5am when I wake up...she sleeps all through out the night....is this ok?

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

A lot of people recommend doing this. I never did because Nala never had a problem at night.

If your pup is not having problems at night, maybe you should not worry about limiting water? Although, I definitely know what it's like to worry that the pup will start to pee in the crate and then never stop. Didn't happen with us, but boy did I worry about it!

Jamiya

5. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Some Help

I take water away at 7, 7:30, Laika is usually asleep for the night around 9 anyways, and she is such an angel at 7weeks she will sleep through the night in her crate, waking up around 5:30ish which is great because thats the time I normally wake up. Except for weekends which she will wake up then will not want to sleep in the crate again so I toss her into my bed.

But on every house training article I have read it does say remove the water an hour or 2 before bed time

6. winnie

winnie New Member

lanena...thank you so much...I wake up around 5:30 also and i go to bed around 9 so your info was perfect...i dont feel bad anymore fortaking the water away...thanks agian

7. winnie

winnie New Member

So i have been limiting syds water only at night....igo to bed really early around 8:30...i take the water away at 7...is this ok you think...sometimes she goes in the kitchen looking for water...i kow she has had plenty allday...she seems to drink a lot of water...should i let her have some after 7 or you think she will be ok....she is sleeping threw the niht and i would like that to continue...thanks

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You could gradually leave it out longer - like maybe 10 minutes a day - and see how she does with it.

Jamiya

9. winnie

winnie New Member

thanks Jamiya thats a good idea, I will start doing that tonight :)

10. winnie

winnie New Member

You know I was wondering that now I am moving to a house, will it be easier to potty train Syd...I know i still have to go out with her but has anyone found it easier to train when you live in a house rather then an aprtment?

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would think the only thing easier would be the route to getting outside - you wouldn't have to go as far to get her out!

Make sure you don't give in to the temptation of sending her out alone. Continue to go out with her and give the command, so it really becomes ingrained. Even though I send my dogs out alone now, whenever I am out and see them go - or when we are on walks - I give the command word and praise them. My husband thinks I am nuts. He doesn't laugh so hard when we WANT them to go and they know how to pee on command, though...

Also, you might want to give some thought about WHERE you want her to go in your new yard. I picked a spot where there is not much human traffic, away from windows that might be opened, and easy to scoop. The dogs pretty much go in that area now, although they have used some other spots now that I don't watch them as closely.

When we got Bonnie, I took her out on leash the first few times we let her out, to show her "the spot". But she didn't need it after that. I guess the smells left by Nala were enough to coax her to use the same location. :)

Jamiya