1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog throwing up yellow in the middle of the night

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Becky76, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Becky76

Becky76 New Member

Hi there

I'm new to these boards, and was wondering if anyone has some advice on what the problem with my pooch may be.

Rayna is a 1.5 yr old Boder Collie/Australian Shepherd that I got from the SPCA in May 2004. She is very healthy, but am concerned about one thing. She throws up about once or twice a month, always in the middle of the night or in the morning (she'll be sleeping and wake up to throw up)Her vomit is always bright yellow. Is it bile? What should I do?

She eats well- natural dry dog food. Her stools are good. Her coat is nice and healthy. She's active and happy- so on all accounts she looks & seems fine. But I am wondering if any of this is cause for concern.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Becky

2. lil96

lil96 New Member

Luther does that occasionally and I used to worry, but he always seemed healthy. So I don't think it would be too bad

3. nern

nern New Member

It sounds like bile to me...it usually comes up this way on an empty stomache. Maybe a few treats before bed or a night time snack will help?

4. BeatrixMom

BeatrixMom New Member

My old dog used to do it. The vet said it was bile and that he did it because his stomach was very empty. It just happens to some dogs, Henry had a sensitive stomach. I used to feed him twice a day, give him a few late night snacks and it seemed to help. If it happens frequently, or gets worse, you might want to see the vet just to be sure everything is okay.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

A couple times a month is nothing to worry about. And they always do it in the middle of the night so we get to wake up to vomit sounds. :)

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I had a cocker spaniel mix years ago that would do this, I started giving him just a small handful of dry dog food before I went to bed and it stopped. He was never checked out by the vet for it and its possible that it was just coincidence that it stopped then but as long as he got his few biscuits he was fine.

7. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I heard something like this somewhere...don't remember where but what the people did was like everyone said--feed the dog a little bit before going to bed and even put biscuits in the dog's bed for later.

8. BeatrixMom

BeatrixMom New Member

I think they enjoy puking on your pillow next to your head, or your bare foot. Talk about rude awakenings.... :(

9. Becky76

Becky76 New Member

Thankyou all so much for your responses!

I feed Rayna twice a day as it is but she is VERY active, so it makes sense that her stomach may be empty in the middle of the night. I'll try giving her some food before bed. :D

Thanks!
    Becky

10. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:lol: :lol: Yeah...why do they feel it necessary to do that...still, it could be worse, it could be the cat wanting to share her latest furball. :shock: