1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog with a cold. Please help

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Hoaxoner, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Hoaxoner

Hoaxoner New Member

Yesterday I brought my dog to the vet and he has a cold. He is a three year old Jack Russell Terr. Mix and Just was recently neutered. Well the vet said she didnt want to put him on antibiotics until the cold gets really bad. It seems to have gotten worse today, he can hardly breath out of his nose and sleeps most of the day. Any home remidies to clear his nose and make him more comfortable or should I just get the antibiotics. I really am not a fan of giving medicine unless its 100% needed but I seem to be at the end of my rope. He sneezes all the time and does that dog wheeze thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    -Dan

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Maybe you could try suctioning his nose with one of those baby suction-thingies?

3. Hoaxoner

Hoaxoner New Member

See, thats what I was thinking but i dont want to hurt the dog at all. Has anyone had any luck with this method?
    Thanks
    -Dan

4. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I was always told that dogs (and animals in general) don't catch colds.....it's a virus only humans can catch. Did the vet really say he has a cold? :-#

5. Hoaxoner

Hoaxoner New Member

Maybe the correct term she used was URI, or upper respitory infection. Its equilivent to a cold.
    -Dan

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If he is all stuffed up, you could put him in the bathroom (sit with him, of course) and turn the shower on to steam up the room. That should make it easier to breathe and also loosen everything up. I've never tried it with a dog, but I suspect you would be in for some wet, nasty sneezes!

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I would monitor that condition very closely and get him back to the Vet if you feel he is not getting better. I believe any respiratory problem could develop into pneumonia. A while back Duke aspirated a bit of water when he got into a spat with another dog in the middle of a lake. The Vet kept him overnight on drip anti-biotics because of a concern that he could develop pneumonia.
    We all know every single nuance of our pups so if I were you I'd get him back to the Vet if you sense his symptoms are not getting better.
    As you can guess my boys get far better health care that I give to myself.