1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

dog wont stop running off when outside! HELP!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by rowdiebrindlepit, Jan 11, 2006.

1. rowdiebrindlepit

rowdiebrindlepit New Member

My puppy is a little over 2 months old and he has been good on training so far but i cant seem to keep him from running out of the yard. he only goes in the yard off his chain when i am out the with him working or what ever and i usually have to chase him down and carry him home. if anyone has any ideas on how i can stop this please let me know. I would hate to loose him.

2. Betty's Daddy

Betty's Daddy New Member

Might I recommend that you don't let the little bugger run free at all. One - 2 months is way too young IMHO to expect any level of obedience and Two - if you want to continue to perpetuate pit bulls bad reputations then you'll continue to let this happen.

Betty is a great dog and at 16 months old, she's more obedient than ever but I will NEVER let her run loose unless Im in an enclosed area and people that don't know her aren't around. While we both know its acceptable in a way for a lab dog to do this, having a pit means you have to be in control for their sake as much as yours.

3. rowdiebrindlepit

So you think i should never let him run free in the yard huh. whats the point in having a dog if you and your children can not play with it? and keeping the dog happy means sometimes they need to run around and play without having to hit the end of the chain. even though you are totally wrong i guess thanks for your input.

4. Betty's Daddy

Betty's Daddy New Member

If you're yard is not enclosed than I wouldn't endorse it.

You're leaving your dog open to injury and you're leaving yourself open to being sued.

If you can't see that, then there's nothing more I can say.

I'm just being honest Rowdie.

5. jay

jay New Member

Betty's Daddy is right, as much as you want to let your dog run free it will only cause problems. He could run out in front a car or much worse he could attack another dog, and cause you a lot of problems. I've seen it with friends before, so try to keep him in a enclosed yard.

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

they are not totally wrong rowdie. they are totally right. if you dont have any way to contain your dog then why on earth did you get one in the first place? thats like buying a goldifsh but not having a tank and water for it. so unless you want trouble for you, your dog and the breed in general i suggest you keep your dog confined to a leash or dog run until you decide to build a fence.

7. rowdiebrindlepit

I didnt mean i wanted to let him run free always just when i am outside with him. my origional question was (how do i teach him to come when i call him and not just run off and keep playing) not run off as in down the road run off as in through the yard! i am a responsible owner and my dog is an inside dog i just done see why he cant run around the yard when i am with him outside.

8. someday

someday New Member

I have to say I generally agree that pit bulls should have a fenced yard, but I do not have one. Since I rent, I don't have the option of putting up a fence( boy I would love to. But, we just finalized the contract on our new place this week...so...I will be able to now...yay!)It takes a lot of work to make it safe. You are right that you need to teach a reliable Come. We made the best prgress with Annie when she went through her basic obediance class...it's worth the money with a good trainer. I worked with her constantly at home. You first need to get a good come on leash with distraction. Then you can move on to a long 30 foot lead and get very solid with come and stays on that. Believe me, it's possible to play fetch on it...we did it for quite a while. you need to become a treat machine...make sure that dog knows that if it does something good...there's a very good chance you'll pull a treat out of your pocket. I also taught Annie an emergency come word. Just something that means that they get a large amount of very very good treats. Annie's was "cookies!". If you scream cookies...Annie will be by your side in 2 seconds flat. But only use this word if you have a ton of treats or in an emergency where you need them to come very quickly...if you use it too often it loses it's importance. the key is the dog should never just be running around in the yard..if you are not playing with the dog or working with it directly...it should be tethered. It's a lot of work to get to good reliable off leash commands, but it's well worth it. I just called Annie off a deer in our back yard, in the dark a few minutes ago. I'm always alert, but I don't have to worry, because I know i'll get the response I want.
    Also, as I'm sure you know by now that pit bulls are very high energy dogs, while you're still working on leash, may I suggest teaching your dog to run beside a bike? Walks usually don't cut it exercise wise...biking saved a lot of sanity while Annie couldn't be allowed off leash.

9. Suz

Suz New Member

Teaching your dog to come when you call

I have the same problem with my 9 month female red nose pit. She minds very well in the house, but if off the leash the world is hers, lol. I have learned SO much from a website dedicated to pits which is pitbulllovers.com . Jason, the owner, has given me a lot of personal tips because I have not had a dog in years. My pit was rescued at about 14 weeks and terrified. Her throat had been cut by the chain around it and she was left out in all weather. She is now nine months and about 65 pounds. Following Jason's instructions she was house trained in under two weeks! I have failed to follow up on the COME training and am sorry for that, but am going to have to start working on it again. There are steps to follow, but they are easy. Unfortunately I am partially disabled and have difficulty with some things. I will say that one time recently she got away from me and went after a neighbors teen son..I was terrified. We have about five acres, but this boy was pulling their trash down to the road..I could never have reached her in time. He stood still and my pit went after him like a bullet..but within about two feet suddenly threw herself into her PLAY mode! I was so relieved I almost passed out. She was jumping, and wiggling and running around him. He was NOT in the mood to play. Actually the trash can was all that was holding him up. Now I really think it might have been the trash can that upset her..but who knows. Pits are very high energy dogs and need lots of exercize. YES we need to keep them leashed or fenced, and in our control all the time. Normally they are people friendly/animal aggressive..but after all, they are dogs no matter how much we love them!